News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Light Switch

Started by 60eldo, March 24, 2019, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

It doesn t end,,,Does anyone know anything about 59-60 light switch? I pull it nothing except parking lights. Turn it a little pull,,,nothing,,,,pull I have lights. Whats going on, not feeling like pulling the dash again.
Jon. Kluczynski

David Greenburg

Johnny:

I’m not following from your description what is/is not happening. The function of the parking lights (first position pull) and headlights (second position) should not be affected by turning the knob.  If it is, I would start by cleaning out the switch real well.  Unfortunately, to deal with the switch you will need to at least raise up the dash cover up if not remove it unless you have access to a 10 year old child who likes to follow detailed instructions.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

60eldo

So Dave whats happening is when I pull knob once parking lights come on, pull it again to get headlights on, and nothing, no headlights but parking lights are on. If I push knob in and out a few times eventually the headlights come on.
Jon. Kluczynski

35-709

Sounds like the switch needs to be taken apart and the contacts cleaned, been there, done that several years ago on my '60.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

David Greenburg

I agree with Geoff; sounds like a good cleaning is the place to start. Otherwise something is worn and a rebuild is in order.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Glen

On a ’60 the parking lights should not be on while the headlights are on, unless someone has modified the wiring or switch.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

59-in-pieces

Johnny,
Like Geoff - been there done that.
Below is a switch taken apart in order to see the guts and help with your efforts to clean the ALL the contacts.
It is also one that has fog lights, otherwise it is the same as one without, except for the "box" up front.
BEWARE, the contacts are spring loaded and you must open the contact area with care and be slow.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

60eldo

Thanks for the pics, Im not sure I want to tackle that. Too many pieces to remember how it all goes back together. I found another switch here with fog lights, mine doesnt. So I guess Ive got another job to do. With summer coming I dont want to be in a situation at night being somewhere and lights wont come on.   It just seems to never end.
Jon. Kluczynski

David Greenburg

Mc Vey’s and Cadillac Tim, among others, can rebuild yours.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Lexi

60eldo its not as bad a job as it looks. Done 3 of them. Experience tells me to always open them in a large ziploc bag so you don't lose any pieces though. Probably best to take a few close up snap shots as well. Even I figured it out so it can't be that difficult. Lol. Clay/Lexi

35-709

"It just seems to never end."

And with a '60 year old car, it never will.  Only brief respites.    ;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2