News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

License Plate Frame

Started by mrlsc1, March 06, 2019, 12:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrlsc1

Hi Group!
I need some help finding a License Plate Frame to add a finishing touch to my restoration project.
I am the 2nd owner of a 1955 CDV that I have owned since 1975.  It was originally purchased from Barnard Motors Cadillac in Portland Oregon where my dad worked from the 40's to 70's until Harvey Barnard sold the dealership and retired.  Growing up with Cadillac's, I remember Dad having several of the license plate frames on the wall of the garage.
I am hoping someone in the Northwest might have one or can point me in the right direction to find one!
Thanks for any suggestions or help you can offer!
Larry Cartales, Albuquerque, NM

hornetball

Can't help you, but that sure is a cool way to remember your father.

5390john

Hi Larry:
I have a '55 6237DX that was sold new at Menasco Motors in Grants Pass that was distributed through Barnard. I did a 6+ year restoration and easily the hardest items to find were the parts to restore the front license frame assembly.
See photos from the Lake Oswego car show last August, I think the front frame really sets it apart.
FYI, I worked at the Freddy's across from Barnards in the early '70's. If you have any records from Barnards regarding cars they distributed in 1955, I would be really interested in discussing with you.
John Adams
Lake Oswego OR
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

spolij

mrlsc1

Hi John,

Our cars may have been at Barnard Motors about the same time!  Mine was originally sold to a family in Lake Oswego!  I am the 2nd owner.  I found it behind a gas station in Oregon City in 1975 without an engine!  My dad told me the gold license frame was an Eldorado option.  I have only one and it needs straightened and replated.  Yours look great!
Now that I hear your restoration took so long I am not feeling as bad about 2 1/2 years here in Albuquerque!
I will let you know when I drive it to Portland!
Larry

5390john

Hi Larry:
Nice to hear back from you.
Would like to see your car and hear the story behind it. Also interested in any info you might know about Barnard, or if any of their records might still exist.
FYI, Marilyn is at the PDX Roadster Show this weekend, see photo.
Keep in touch!
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

5390john

BTW,
The gold anodized license frames were options, but only available in '54 and '55. Other years had similar frames but the color was different. See attached photos of a stunning restoration of a '56 Eldo that won big at the Forest Grove Concourse 2 years ago and just sold at Barrett Jackson for $250K. The color of the frame is notably more subtle.
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

TonyZappone #2624

Beverly Hills Motor Cars has a chrome very nice frame.  Over $100 w/shipping etc.  Not metal, but plated plastic.  You can't tell.  I love these frames, and have one of one variation or another on all my collector and modern cars.  Use lexan lense instead of glass
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Actually, the plate frame on that beautiful '56 is not the
original optional one.  It's just a gold license plate frame
the owner found somewhere that looks similar.  It might
even be plastic, from the pictures you can't really tell.

The original Cadillac frame was designed to expand both
height and width to accommodate the different size license
plates of the day.  It was easy to see the "ridges" in the
sides and top and bottom of the frame.  The plate on the
'56 clearly doesn't have those.

I've looked for one of these plate frames for years and
cound not find a nice one.  They were gold anodized
aluminum.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

5390john

Hi Larry:
I did a little digging around and a guy I know sent me the photo attached. I don't know the owner, but I'm told, emphatically, that it is not available for sale.
Thought you might be able to use it for a reference.
Also attached are two photos that I took years ago of a '55 CDV for sale in Portland, showing the mounting systems for an OEM front mounting bracket.
Also, Google "Raylite" or "Rayline" license frames, I think they were the supplier to GM back in the day. FYI, I just did that and found one on ebay that is very close to OEM.

See   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rayline-Deluxe-Vintage-License-Plate-Frame-Holder-No-164-Classic-Rare-W-Box-NOS/293011819042?hash=item4438dd8a22:g:PAMAAOSwPaBcjrI-&frcectupt=true

Hope you find this info useful, good luck!!
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

TonyZappone #2624

Mike speaks of the frames with ridges on the top and sides that adjusts to the plate size.  I have several like these, on Classic era cars.  I do not remember them in the fifties.  From the fifties, I recall the frames made specifically for the normal size plate found in most states today.  These are very hard to find.  I have them on some of my old cars, and my modern cars as well.  The most presentable one again, comes from Beverly Hills cars or classics, something like that.  They are plastic, but very presentable, can't really tell they are plastic.  Over $100.  Then go to a glass shop and get lexan lenses, as thin as possible.  Nice presentation.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv

Flyer

Larry- I've had some luck with hard to find items at L & L Classic Auto, a salvage yard in Wendell, ID, 208 536 6607. They have a large number of vintage cars. Check out their website. Hugh

59-in-pieces

Larry,
This topic tweaked my interest, so I looked around after looking at my own 57 Biarritz.
It has a gold colored frame which does don't expand - fixed sides, rectangle.
I looked at the accessory brochure and it states that the 57 came with a gold anodized frame - shows a fixed shape frame.
None of this explains what went on in 55.

Since I didn't want to make this my life's work, I went to look at Colored ads for your 55 and there I found two things - the license frames were not shown to be adjustable in size, and there were cars with Gold colored license frames.
Not conclusive, but a start.
I did not want to take the time to review the sales brochures or owners manuals, but I would guess the answers are there - as they were with my 57, see pic (blurred numbers to protect the innocent, me).

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

TonyZappone #2624

That's what I said before.  The adjustable frames are quite valuable, I still have a couple left along with the various attachment hardware pieces.  A good guess on the time frame would be from the late thirties through '49 or '50.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv