News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bustle-Back Seville

Started by Matt CLC#18621, March 25, 2019, 08:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC#18621

Was the Rolls Rotce the genesis of the Bustle-Back Seville?

This Rolls Royce is resting behind a gas station in NJ, I took the pictures on 3/24/19.

Regards,

Matt

Cadillac Fleetwood

Yes.  Bill Mitchell's inspiration for the so-called "bustle-back" Seville was Hooper-Daimler coachwork on the Rolls Royce.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

35-709

Hmmm, who came first Hooper-Daimler, Jaguar, or ?.  Pictured below a 1938 Jaguar with the bustle-back and the design was used earlier than that.  The bustle-back design was seen on several different British cars in the '30s and '40s.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Matt, I think your photos might "pass" our "no other marque car rule, as you can't really tell what kind of car it is. But the Jag...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Lexi

Informative comments and pictures. I think the "bustle-back" is one of Cadillac's most interesting and ignored model. They are distinctively Cadillac for that era. While I tend to like the older Caddies I would love to see one parked in my driveway. Clay/Lexi

jdemerson

Quote from: lexi on March 26, 2019, 10:21:07 AM
Informative comments and pictures. I think the "bustle-back" is one of Cadillac's most interesting and ignored model. They are distinctively Cadillac for that era. While I tend to like the older Caddies I would love to see one parked in my driveway. Clay/Lexi

Although I haven't been very "tuned in" to the bustle-back Seville, I think that Clay is right -- an interesting and distinctive model. In detail the rear styling is more Rolls than Jaguar. The Elegance model is intriguing!

It's interesting to compare the front-drive 1980 Seville with the rear-drive 1980 Fleetwood Sedan. The base Seville was at least $4500 more, and weighed nearly 200 pounds less. The Seville was much shorter at 205 inches vs. 221 inches, and it was 5 inches narrower. Both had versions of the Cadillac 6.0 liter V8, but the Seville had new-generation EFI. Seville had independent suspension on all four corners. Unless I needed to carry more than four passengers, I can see an argument for choosing a Seville D'Elegante over a Fleetwood Brougham in 1980. Both are very attractive models in my view. If I were choosing the Fleetwood, I'd probably try for a '79 over the '80.

It's fun to dream...

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Too clarifications: The upgraded version is called Seville Elegante' not "d'Elegante' "

The 2nd gen (80-85 model) was designed by Wayne Kady - not Bill Mitchell.

Thanks.  :)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

35-709

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on March 26, 2019, 09:50:57 AM
Matt, I think your photos might "pass" our "no other marque car rule, as you can't really tell what kind of car it is. But the Jag...
;D  Barry, for illustrative purposes only, the conversation is, of course, about Cadillacs.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Bill Mitchell's advice to Wayne Kady re the new Seville: "If you go to rob, you rob a bank, not a grocery store."  That was the inspiration - from it came the Hooper Daimler rear end and the RR inspired "waterfall" grille.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Apple Caddy

The concept of the bustle-back Seville basically came from Mitchell, who retired from GM in 1977, but Wayne Kady and Don Logerquist were primarily responsible for the design of the final car.  Apparently, the bustle-back style was initially meant for the 1979-85 Eldorado but instead ended up being used on the 1980-85 Seville.

I was a fan of the bustle-back Seville going back to when they were new, especially two tone versions.  Some love(d) the style, others not so much.

MaR

The style of the bussleback had really started to grow on me lately. Sometimes "distinctive" just takes time to work out.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Um, for illustrative purposes only you know...       It sits in my Garage.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am not a fan of Cadillac using the Bustle Back design, as it is purely taken from the Rolls Royce models, and therefore denigrated Cadillac in my opinion.

It doesn't increase the capacity of the trunk.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Matt CLC#18621

Love the Bustle-Back Seville, I couldn't believe how beautiful it was when introduced in the Fall of 1979, only the standard DIESEL engine was a real turnoff as my parents had purchased a previously owned 79 two-tone Seville Elegante with the (standard?) dirty DIESEL engine. Fortunately for my parents, they had good luck with the DIESEL engine and without a water separator. They sold it ~ a month before Barbara Walters and Hugh Downs did an expose on GM's problem child DIESEL engine. The DIESEL soot was omnipresent throughout the interior and everyone's clothes stunk. Absent the Oldsmobile DIESEL, the family's 79 Seville Elegante was a beautiful automobile.

I also had the pleasure of owning a previously owned triple black (no roof treatment) 84 Seville Elegante with every option including the Astroroof as well as the highly coveted HT-4100 that, in all honesty was worry free throughout its 161,000 miles with me having put ~ 30,000 miles on it and a new head gasket shortly after I purchased it with ~ 141,000. Never permitted HT-4100 to enjoy the "Horse Pills," just made sure the Mountain Dew level and clean after the new head gasket and had the radiator properly microwaved.

Unfortunately, no one shared my enthusiasm for the 84 Bustle-Back Seville Elegante and I couldn't give it away.

Regards,

Matt CLC# 18621

BJM

This is a great topic.  Tassie - I understand your point but styling themes were borrowed from other makes from time to time, especially in Mitchell's time.  The 1st Buick Riviera as you may recall, came to Mitchell as a Rolls Royce in fog in London.  The Boattail Riviera was inspired by the classic era cars from all makes.

In the case of the 2nd generation Seville, in my opinion, Cadillac completed the design.  They executed it better than the other versions.   The English cars were narrower and had more upright grilles. The Seville started with a great horizontal front end, formal grille.

I admire Cadillac for the 80-85 Seville. It was starting to get very 3 box, well, had been for awhile.  Thankfully the Eldorado and Seville offered a fresh take on luxury styling.   I'm glad they did it.

Roger Zimmermann

Contrary to other people, I was not a fan from this bustle-back Seville. The rear is nice (it's a copy from noble English car models as other pointed out), the front is really Cadillac, but both together don't match.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Roger,

Thanks for your exquisite description and choice of words.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

D.Smith

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on March 26, 2019, 04:55:42 PM
Um, for illustrative purposes only you know...       It sits in my Garage.

Burnished Oak over Doeskin firemist  ?

Barry M Wheeler #2189

That sounds about right. It attracts a lot of attention.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Matt CLC#18621

Your Bustle-Back Seville has a beautiful color combination.

Possibly Western Saddle F/M Metallic over Desert Sand F/M Metallic?

What are the first two numbers (body color) and the last two numbers (roof color) on the Paint Code Plate?

Regards,

Matt CLC# 18621