News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

TV rod extension ?

Started by Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225, March 27, 2019, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

I swapped the original  Carter WCFB  carb on my 54 coupe with the Edelbrock 1406 w electric choke. I plan to probably go back some day to the original carb after a full rebuild but in the meantime I want to run the edelbrock. I am having trouble getting the TV rod adjustment right. Going by the guidelines in the shop manual the throttle lines up but the TV rod with the adjustment out as far as it can go seems to be about 1/4 inch too short to freely fit at the carb.. Has anyone out there experienced this ? I was wondering if there was an extension made for this or if someone has come up with an idea to correct it. Thanks,   Bill
If you ain't Wrenching ...  You ain't Livin.  So get out there and Live a little..  !!

Current Labors of LOVE;
1948 series 62 Club Coupe / 346 L head / Rendon Blue
1954 series 62 Sport Coupe / 331 V8 / Aztec Red
1970 Deville Rag Top / 472 V8 / Nottingham Green

Previous Caddies ;

1969 Fleetwood Eldorado / 472 V8 / Wisteria
1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

Caddy Wizard

I am not sure, but check to see if there is some adjustment at the other end of the TV rod to allow you to lengthen it some. 

In any event, you may be able to lengthen it by straightening it out a little.  Since you apparently only need 1/4 inch or more in total length, a slight change in the overall arc of the rod will probably do the trick...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Bill Kaufman CLC# 15225

Thats a great idea Art.  I will try that.    The threaded end of the rod comes out of a hollow tube. I tried to hold the tube and twist the threaded part out .. but it didnt budge. I stopped for the fear of breaking it off in the tube. I am not sure if it is threaded or just welded in. I will try your suggestion of bending it. Thanks
If you ain't Wrenching ...  You ain't Livin.  So get out there and Live a little..  !!

Current Labors of LOVE;
1948 series 62 Club Coupe / 346 L head / Rendon Blue
1954 series 62 Sport Coupe / 331 V8 / Aztec Red
1970 Deville Rag Top / 472 V8 / Nottingham Green

Previous Caddies ;

1969 Fleetwood Eldorado / 472 V8 / Wisteria
1974 Sedan DeVille
1993 SLS / White Diamond
2006 CTS / White Diamond

Roger Zimmermann

If you are modifying the shape of the tube, you will have to check if it does not touch the firewall or other element for the whole movement. If I recall correctly, the threaded end is welded to the tube.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

russ austin

You will need to make a plate to attach to the carb linkage. Check the geometry of the linkage, as it can not allow the TV rod to go back in while under acceleration.
R.Austin