News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1952 Cad power steering growls

Started by rodworkz, March 27, 2019, 11:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodworkz

Hey, I have a 1952 Caddy that has had the power steering pump and steering box rebuilt by a very reputable shop. Once the car warms up the steering system growls, like when air is in the system, at slow speeds when turning left or right. all fluids are new, hoses and fittings are new. The shop installed ATF for the power steering fluid. Any Ideas? Is their a common place where air may be entering the system?
paul

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Did you bleed the system after it was installed? Look at the fluid while the car is running. Does it look foamy?

I recently had this problem on a later model Ford product. It took multiple fillings over about two weeks to work the air out of the system. After that, it quieted down.

Caddieman53

Paul. Does your pressure side hose have the required built in restriction? If not the system will be loud as you describe.
P. W. Allen

53 Cadillac Coupe 6237X
Twin Turbine

rodworkz

thanks, the car is in Palm Dessert. I am having it checked. Thanks so much.