News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 mystery part - identified Trans dip tube

Started by oregonjam, March 30, 2019, 12:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oregonjam

Hello,

Does anyone know what this is that is bolted into the rear of the passenger side head? Should it be there? What is it for?

I didn’t see it in the assembly manual but could have missed it.

Thanks,
John
Cheers,
John Miller

1960 Series 62 Coupe
1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88
1968 Camaro SS
1968 C10 SWB Pickup
1976 Bronco Sport

Michael Petti

The picture does not show a lot of area, but your transmission dip stick appears much lower than the one on my 60 390 which I know is original. The part may be the bracket or part of it that held the original transmission dip stick tube in place. My car is in storage for another few weeks so I am going from memory.

oregonjam

Sorry, here is a better photo with more of the engine.

Cheers,
John
Cheers,
John Miller

1960 Series 62 Coupe
1968 Camaro SS
1968 C10 SWB Pickup
1976 Bronco Sport

Michael Petti

I think that it is part of the bracket that held the original transmission dip stick in place. Again, I can not see mine right now, but that is what I think it is.

oregonjam

I think you are correct. The welds did not leave a mark on the tube so I can not locate it back where it belongs.

Attached is a pic of the tube and mounting arm. If anyone has any photos they can share to help locate the direction it should face I can spot weld it back on after the engine is reinstalled so I get the correct position.

Thank you so much Brian.

Cheers,
John
Cheers,
John Miller

1960 Series 62 Coupe
1968 Camaro SS
1968 C10 SWB Pickup
1976 Bronco Sport

oregonjam

Hello,

Does anyone have an image of a 1960 trans tube they can share? I need to know what direction the mounting tab should be facing.

Installed or not would be fine.

Thanks for your help,
John
Cheers,
John Miller

1960 Series 62 Coupe
1968 Camaro SS
1968 C10 SWB Pickup
1976 Bronco Sport

fishnjim

If you have a parts list, there's a picture in there that shows the dipstick position on the motor, but my copy stops at '59 (should be the same).  You might find a pix on the GM archives specifications.   Mounting position changed after '58. 
I'd think that once the trans is mounted and stick is inserted, the bracket position will become obvious.   It appears to me someone, apparently, did not unbolt/remove the stick before separating the trans from the block.   There's just a rubber grommet holding the stick tube assy into the trans casing.

Daryl Chesterman

Hi John,

In the video below, you can go to 5:40 of the video, and it shows the mounting of the dipstick tube for your 1960 Hydra-Matic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aihokR64W1s

Daryl Chesterman

oregonjam

oh great thank you both. Apologies as I forgot to select notify. I am about to re-install the engine and will watch the video and try fitting the trans tube to mark the location to spot weld.

Cheers,
John
Cheers,
John Miller

1960 Series 62 Coupe
1968 Camaro SS
1968 C10 SWB Pickup
1976 Bronco Sport