News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

gas tank won't fill up

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, April 01, 2019, 11:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I've tried to fill the '91 Seville a couple of times over the weekend and it won't take the last few gallons. Any suggestions?
(Stops @ 13-14 gallons.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

cadillacmike68

How do you know your gauge is not off??

If you want to be sure, you have to drain the tank (or run it dry) and then fill it and count the gallons going in.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Since the dash is digital, who knows what gremlins are lurking in those innards? This glitch is merely annoying. I just couldn't think of any reason for the problem, since it's got the button in the glove box to open the gas filler door and all that. So it is unlikely that anyone has been messing with the car. Yesterday, I did pull the nozzle out as far as possible and got a little more.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

TJ Hopland

My 90 Deville takes in that 13-14 when the gauge says 2 or L or is it E?  I forget which since I don't like to let it get that low.  I have run it out parked on a slight hill so I think its correct when its reading low.   Mine is supposed to be 18 gallons.   Looks like yours shows 18.8 so even worse for you.   Seems like mine goes from F to 15.   I have not really paid attention to if I get to go 60 miles on what should be the range between F and 15. 

If the car wasn't so comfortable I would be driving my diesel truck at the moment.   Diesel is $0.40 cheaper than premium right now.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

oldcarguy

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on April 01, 2019, 11:17:06 PM
I've tried to fill the '91 Seville a couple of times over the weekend and it won't take the last few gallons. Any suggestions?
(Stops @ 13-14 gallons.)
Barry, you just need to burp it!!LOL
Don
Good luck
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

Bob Schuman

Some cars are very sensitive to position when fueling. The gas station we usually use is on a slightly sloping lot. My friend's 2015 Buick LaCrosse will not fill above 7/8 tank if parked facing down slope, but will easily fill to FULL if  parked facing up slope at the same station. Also, on that car its needs only 12-13 gallons to fill when the gauge has shown about 1/8 tank, not a very accurate gauge. Neither of my cars, a GMC and a Chevrolet exhibit this at this same station.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

TJ Hopland

I have been working out of town so putting quite a few miles on.   Today was cruising along and noticed I was reading E.  Not sure how long it was like that.  Range said like 40 miles to go and I was doing about 19.5 at the time.  So 40 miles would be roughly 2 gallons remaining.  I put in 14.8 which makes me think it had been on E for several miles.  So we call that 15+2=17 out of 18?   One gallon not accounted for?   I had a little over 40 miles home including some idle time and was still reading F in the driveway so so far it does seem like mine may be reasonably accurate.   We will see if I get another 20 miles tomorrow before it goes from F to 15.  Guess the real test would have been to see if I could have made it that last 40 miles what was left in the tank?

Till it was brought up here I was thinking that I wasn't getting my full 18 but its kinda looking like I am.  It just seems like E comes on pretty early.   Maybe see what it says for range and average before you fill next time to calculate what is likely still in the tank? 

TJ Hopland

Looks like I get about 60 miles between F and 15 so the math works there. 

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I plan to put some gas in today, so we'll see what happens. I punched the mileage button and I'm getting 19.9.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Barry: Your problem with gas tank readings reminded me of a joke we played many years ago on one of our squadron pilots. He lived about 40 miles from the base so he bought a new VW Beetle to save on gas. Each day we would hear about the great gas mileage he was getting. This got to be very boring. We decided to make his mileage even better so we would put in an extra 1/2 or full gallon of gas into his car each day without him knowing. So each day he  bragged even more about his fantastic VF and that we all should get a VW. So you probably can guess what we did next. We drained 1/2  and then 1 gal, then 2 gals each day from his tank. He became so upset with his poor mileage that he told the dealer he wanted his money back. We finally told him about the set up we had pulled. If looks could kill you, we were all dead that day.  Bill

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I hope you guys didn't extend your prank to his F-94 or F-86... AAA doesn't have road service at 30,000 feet.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville