News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Cadillac Deville Crankcase Breather Element

Started by EAM 17806, April 08, 2019, 03:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAM 17806

What is actually inside this crankcase breather that is on top of the valve cover (Drivers Side) and connected to the side of the air cleaner to funnel gas fumes into the air cleaner.  How should these be cleaned and maybe oiled once again, or not?   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Ev
I've got a couple for sale and I just "bumped" them- FB-69 is the NOS number
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

EAM 17806

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on April 08, 2019, 08:34:31 PM
Ev
I've got a couple for sale and I just "bumped" them- FB-69 is the NOS number
Greg Surfas
GREG:  Can you explain what I originally asked about the crankcase breather element inside it and if we should oil them after cleaning the inside element etc?  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

They get oiled pretty quickly from the crankcase vapors that permeate the media especially when the motor gets turned off.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: EAM 17806 on April 08, 2019, 03:34:22 PM
What is actually inside this crankcase breather that is on top of the valve cover (Drivers Side) and connected to the side of the air cleaner to funnel gas fumes into the air cleaner.  How should these be cleaned and maybe oiled once again, or not?   EAM

I have a 70. I douche the breather with brake cleaner, well, once a year. Shake it dry, add a tablespoon of fresh engine oil from the valve side, shake, re-install. YMMV.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

EAM 17806

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on April 09, 2019, 01:03:01 AM
I have a 70. I douche the breather with brake cleaner, well, once a year. Shake it dry, add a tablespoon of fresh engine oil from the valve side, shake, re-install. YMMV.

\m/
Laurie
LAURIE:  I think Greg Surfas, the Cadillac Kid's statement above makes sense about not needing to put oil into the crankcase breather after cleaning because the vapors coming out of the valve cover takes care of that and that's just what I'm going to follow; I don't know if your Fleetwood's breather is the same as the ones on the 75s and 76s; maybe Greg can answer that.  Laurie, keep that 70 Fleetwood in good shape for the coming shows in our area.   EAM
Ev Marabian

klinebau

I thought fresh air enters the breather and crankcase air exits via the PCV valve.  A light oiling of the breather element seems like it would be a good idea.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

EAM 17806

Quote from: klinebau on April 09, 2019, 01:12:45 PM
I thought fresh air enters the breather and crankcase air exits via the PCV valve.  A light oiling of the breather element seems like it would be a good idea.
KURT: On the 76s fresh air comes from the air cleaner into the valve cover (Driver's Side) through the crankcase breather element to help the engine breed while the PCV funnels crankcase vapor from the valve cover (Pass. Side) into the intake manifold to be burned away.  I would think putting oil in the crankcase breather element would somewhat be hindering the flow of air into the engine.  We would clean out the crankcase breather with carb cleaner, etc. because when the engine shuts off the oil vapor rises into and clings to the mesh within the breather and if allowed to stay in there would eventually somewhat restrict the free flow of fresh air into the engine.  EAM
Ev Marabian

hornetball

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on April 09, 2019, 01:03:01 AMI have a 70. I douche the breather with brake cleaner, well, once a year. Shake it dry, add a tablespoon of fresh engine oil from the valve side, shake, re-install. YMMV.

You know Laurie, a guy would never, in a million years, think to use that perfect word for this maintenance operation.  I just thought it was funny and apologize in advance if anyone takes offense.

;D

fishnjim

original question;what's in there?
answer- not much, on purpose.
without sawing apart, it's just a wide spot to separate oil from vapors, so you don't get your paper element clogged.   Usually a mesh element or baffle(impinger) plate was used before the plug in ball type, we all know as a PCV.   Lets air into the crankcase and vapors out, an early version of a "PCV", so to speak. 

ps: They used to be a replaceable part, but no idea if still available.  Definitely do not want it plugged.   Check for restriction - minimum.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: hornetball on April 09, 2019, 03:11:33 PM
You know Laurie, a guy would never, in a million years, think to use that perfect word for this maintenance operation.  I just thought it was funny and apologize in advance if anyone takes offense.

;D

I wouldn't be offended if a guy used that term properly here. Then again, I'm a normal person... so...
BZ

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: EAM 17806 on April 09, 2019, 12:13:13 PMLaurie, keep that 70 Fleetwood in good shape for the coming shows in our area.   EAM

The Ark is my world Ev, always 'doing something' to extend its life and improve it. Final engine bay detailing for the season tomorrow and an oil change when my Summit Racing package arrives.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville