News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Ignition switch

Started by rustytractor, April 09, 2019, 07:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustytractor

I’ve stripped down my ignition switch as it’s now causing starting problems.

The electrical parts are pretty worn so does anyone know if a rebuild kit is available? if not where’s the best place to buy one?
Too many cars - too little time !!

bcroe

Had a problem with my 62 after much use, starter contact arced
over and would keep turning.  I found that other cars around that
era used very similar parts, and was able to put together a working
set. 

Maybe a protection diode added to the circuit would preserve the
switch, might look at that.  Bruce Roe

rustytractor

Quote from: rustytractor on April 09, 2019, 07:01:59 PM
I’ve stripped down my ignition switch as it’s now causing starting problems.

The electrical parts are pretty worn so does anyone know if a rebuild kit is available? if not where’s the best place to buy one?

I had a similar problem in that the starter sometimes kept turning over while the engine was running. Even when I turned the ignition off it still kept running so I pulled the starter and had that rebuilt (no significant fault found). Then pulled the ignition switch which wasn’t great and I thought that was the problem so swapped one out from my ‘53 Coupe - still had the same problem.

I believe I cracked the problem today - the inhibitor switch was shorting out sometimes causing the starter solenoid to hold on - I’ve repaired the inhibitor abs the problem SEEMS to have gone, only time will tell.

Plus I bought an NOS ignition switch for $125 which is pretty good 😁
Too many cars - too little time !!