News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

346 Flathead oil pump intake seal

Started by Ron Parker, April 10, 2019, 07:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Parker

In the Best gasket engine set there is a oil pump intake seal that is felt #1153. Where does it go? My idea is that it goes somewhere around the hole in the screen.Thanks Ron Parker

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

I believe that later Cadillac introduced a felt washer that went between the pickup tube and the filter to reduce the pump sucking air. So it might be possible that later this was added to all the kits. it goes where the float is connected to the tube.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Ron Parker

Thanks for the reply. The float ,screen and tube are all one piece.I still don't understand where I could put this . I thought it may go between the pickup and the pump to prevent the pump sucking air. Ron Parker

Ron Parker

Feltz Terrill at Terrill machine had this gasket added to the set and it goes between the oil pump and the pickup tube. Ron Parker

Daryl Chesterman

Hi Ron,

I am working on a 1959 390 engine that uses the Best felt seal # 1153, also, so I assume that the oil pump pickup for the 390 is similar to the one for your flathead engine.  Below are two pictures of my oil pickup float that has the felt seal in place.  I hope the pictures help solve your location problem.

I have inquired of Best Gaskets if this felt seal is available as a stand-alone purchase (through one of their distributors) as the one I have needs to be replaced, and I feel it should be part of the oil pump rebuild kit, but is not.

Daryl Chesterman

Ron Parker

The Best gasket set for a 346  has a oil pump plate gasket that should not be used.The pump did not use a gasket from the factory and this gasket will increase the end play on the shaft. The end play should be from .001 to .004.Too much end play will cause low oil pressure at idle. The felt seal prevents the oil pump sucking air around the pivoting oil pump pickup tube.I hope this helps someone,it took me a while to figure it out.Ron Parker

harry s

I had not seen that seal before. The gasket sets I used were mostly older left overs. Makes sense. Good info.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Ron Parker

Daryl,You could try calling Best Gaskets. The gentleman I talked to was very helpful. Ron Parker

Daryl Chesterman

Thank you, Ron.  I did call Best Gasket and they referred me to Egge Machine, as a distributor, and I have one of the felt seals on the way!

Daryl Chesterman

Ron Parker

Daryl, It takes some stretching to get it on and I oiled it up to help. Ron Parker