News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Stromberg Carb

Started by jwaldrich, April 13, 2019, 08:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwaldrich

Have a 1940 LaSalle that I currently have a carter carb on it. I am missing an external spring that is part of the accelerator and choke linkage.

Anyone know a good Stromberg parts source?

Life is tough but it's tougher when you are stupid.

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

I am confused?

Is it a Carter carb? Or is it a Stromberg carb?

I am not familiar with any external spring on either carb.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

jackworstell

Maybe the throttle return spring is missing ?

Jack Worstell

jwaldrich

Quote from: John Washburn CLC 1067 on April 13, 2019, 10:14:07 PM
I am confused?

Is it a Carter carb? Or is it a Stromberg carb?

I am not familiar with any external spring on either carb.

The Johnny

Terribly written post. Sorry.
Running a Carter but want to re-install the Stromberg. The spring in question is part of the accelerator linkage on the Stromberg but NOT the foot feet return spring. it is a tiny little thing that I "attached" in some pictures that have yet to appear in another reply on this thread that I posted. I'll try attaching a picture of it again.

DaveZ

Hi John,
  I'm pretty certain the 1940 LaSalle came with a Carter which they opened up to I think 1 1/8 inch for better performance. Cadillac had the Stromberg.  I think only 1937 LaSalles used both Carter and Stromberg. I took Stromberg off my 37 and put a Carter on it because I like them better; it sure runs better. Maybe the Stromberg was just tired?
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

jwaldrich

Just took the Carter off my LaSalle and out a Stromberg on it. Of course it's the wrong one. Looks nearly identical but it aint! Crap!

The Carter I took off have a broken corner on the base. Don't know it that cause an issue or not.

DaveZ

Carter and Stromberg are completely different and the air cleaner neck is a different height. In '40 Cadillac used the Stromberg and LaSalle used the Carter. If you attach a picture of the broken part of the Carter I may have a replacement for you.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B