News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Getting in the trunk and having someone shut it. Anyone done it?

Started by chrisntam, April 16, 2019, 10:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

I'm wanting to get in the trunk of my '70 to see how the trunk pull down mechanism works.  Anyone done that?

I'm not claustrophobic or anything, but it would be my luck for the first time ever the trunk won't open.

Thinking about it.

I'm wanting to see how the hydraulic shock acts as the trunk latches.  I can see it up to that point, then it goes out of sight.

Perhaps a snake-like camera?

And I'm no longer a 17 or 18 year old beer drinking kid trying to sneak into the drive in theater....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Make sure it is someone that doesn't owe you any money.  Trunk in  '70 has plenty pf room. I think with the side cardboard off (and a flashlight of course) you should be able to see the mechanism pull the cable once the roller is off the ramp.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: chrisntam on April 16, 2019, 10:58:47 PM
I'm wanting to get in the trunk of my '70 to see how the trunk pull down mechanism works.  Anyone done that?

I'm not claustrophobic or anything, but it would be my luck for the first time ever the trunk won't open.

Thinking about it.

I'm wanting to see how the hydraulic shock acts as the trunk latches.  I can see it up to that point, then it goes out of sight.

Perhaps a snake-like camera?

And I'm no longer a 17 or 18 year old beer drinking kid trying to sneak into the drive in theater....
That's how I got rid of my last wife!! The tapping stops after awhile. LOL.
Sorry I couldn't resist.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Lexi

Yes I have done that. I had a couple of friends on the outside with tools, a light inside (plus a couple of back up lights), tools as well and a cool day. Not a job you want to do on a warm day as it does not take long for a closed confined space to heat up. My '56 has AC so I got that huge evaporator unit in the rear of the trunk that precludes escaping through the back seat if things go awry. If anything went wrong I was equipped to remove the hardware necessary from the inside to manually open the trunk to get out. So yes, my trunk liner was also removed in preparation for access to the pull down motor mounting hardware. I know of one fellow who got locked out on such a project also with a '50s AC Caddy. It was not pleasant having to cut their way in to rectify. Not sure what your '70 is like but once you are in there and that lid opens and shuts a few times you will think nothing of it. I am retired and a little claustrophobic but once I was in there, the "water was fine". Just plan for it and be prepared with helpers. I would also strongly advise to install a kill switch on the outside, perhaps underneath on the frame (if you don't drive your car on wet roads). If a limit switch fails for example, and your pull down motor keeps running, it does not take long to burn them out. So a kill switch may save your pull down motor someday as well. Just throw the switch when the motor is not in use, to protect the unit. Clay/Lexi

Edit: Bob LMAO over that last comment. I was going to add to keep on the good side of the wife the day you do this, just to be safe.

Scot Minesinger

My 1970 DVC had a rattle in the trunk so had my son shut me in it and drive (top up).  Turned out to be a sheet metal issue and resolved it.  I'm not bothered by this at all.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have done it before, but one doesn't have to contort oneself with the cable types as one simply has to manually operate the lever, and then press the locking plate with a screw driver and watch what happens.

At least Cadillac Trunks are large and will take a good-sized body.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

wrench

So, one gangster says to the other, I need you to get in the trunk of my Caddy to check out the latch...
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Bob Kielar

If you have a smart phone set it up and record a video you may need to and lighting with you outside the trunk.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

35-709

Quote from: wrench on April 17, 2019, 05:18:57 AM
So, one gangster says to the other, I need you to get in the trunk of my Caddy to check out the latch...
:)  And the other gangster replies, "No way, you'd have to shoot me first!"
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Tom Boehm

This has to be the most bizarre thread ever on this forum.

hornetball

Quote from: Tom Boehm on April 17, 2019, 11:53:04 AM
This has to be the most bizarre thread ever on this forum.

+1.  Would read again!  Keep the gangster jokes coming.  Why only 1 in the trunk?  Our trunks are bigger than that.  Bring a friend.   ;D

Bentley

Wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard, "so, how many bodies can you fit in that trunk?"
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

wrench

Quote from: 35-709 on April 17, 2019, 10:37:54 AM
:)  And the other gangster replies, "No way, you'd have to shoot me first!"

Punchline: 'The first gangster says 'That's what I was tryin' ta avoid'
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX