News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

nice 60 eldo biarritz @ barrett for $ 38500 incl fees

Started by wrefakis, April 17, 2019, 02:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrefakis

look at 76 and 78 prices also average to nice cars light on the $

Cadillac Jack 82

Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

David Greenburg

That’s still a crazy low price for a ‘60 EBZ.  It does have an incorrect interior, and I wonder what the “World of Classics Collection” is.  If it’s been sitting in a museum for 25 years, there could be a bunch of issues to sort out.  That said, I’ve Ben noticing lately that there have occasionally been some really good deals at some of the big auctions.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Scot Minesinger

There are going to be a lot of classics coming on the market over the next decade or two.  The prices will likeley be lower.  We have:

1.  EV's are on the rise and probably most cars will be some form of that (hybrid minimum gas/electric), and gasoline will be less available, higher cost, not in favor.

2.  The hobby is on the wane.  Fewer young people get in this hobby.  Younger people are not super interested in car ownership, let alone as a hobby.

3.  The people in the hobby with great collections are fading and unfortunately often in the last years classics are left outside, managed by relatives, and etc.

4.  Storage seems to be a barrier even for the very affluent. 

5.  Cars are better now.  In the early and late 1980's new cars were not as good as cars of the 1960's and early 1970's.  Ownership of a classic could be justified on the quality of the car itself.  Now even my ex-mother in law's 2008 V-6 Camry will beat just about any stock 1969 Camaro on the drag strip, and be way more comfortable.  A late model Camaro convertible seems appealing to me now, over a 1960's Camaro convertible for sure.

This is a trend, and the next recession, whenever that may be, will really cause a plunge in classic car values.

Best thing to do is drive and enjoy them.

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Since it's near impossible to evaluate the condition of the car with any degree of accuracy, the apparent low sale price could be due to any number of reasons that would not be obvious from what can be seen here.

In any case, it's folly to make bold predictions on the future of the classic car hobby on the basis of a single (presumed) outlier sale result, assuming that is indeed what occurred. 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

rwchatham CLC 21892

It’s funny how people have been calling for prices in classic cars to collapse for years . Using the 59 as an example ,  I still can’t find any inexpensive 59 Eldo s to buy and I doubt we ever will !
R. Waligora

wrefakis

59 Eldo will hold value as will any true low mileage original pre 1970 cad convert
the driver level cars come down first
find me a mint 69/70 watch record $ fall

Top tier 5% low mileage originals will always be prized - pretty much no matter what they are. Mid-70s DeVille Sedans falling into that category now starting to change hands in the low/mid teens which was unthinkable money not so long ago.

If there are any signs of the old car hobby in decline, I've seen little evidence of it.

76eldo

One car selling for low money doesn't mean much.

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

I hope you all are correct and classic cars hold their value, as I own three of them. 

Under current trends, there are more people going to be exiting the hobby than joining it in the next decade - simple law of supply and demand economics.  Does not matter to me too much because I did buy my 1970 Cadillacs to drive and enjoy, not as investments. 

That price for the car model, year and pictures sure seems ultra low.  A sign of the times ahead, it really was a bondo bucket #4 - #5 car, or a freak?

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 19, 2019, 06:15:49 PM

Under current trends, there are more people going to be exiting the hobby than joining it in the next decade - simple law of supply and demand economics.

I have no idea how true that is but it sure hasn't been reflected in the market prices over the last 10 years as far as I can see. Quite the opposite in fact.

rwchatham CLC 21892

Under current trends, there are more people going to be exiting the hobby than joining it in the next decade - simple law of supply and demand economics.  i
[/quote]

Not so sure about that , seems like all the classics I follow and lust after just keep getting more and more pricy !
R. Waligora

Scot Minesinger

Again, I hope your right "no evidence of more people leaving than joining hobby", but my experience unfortunately is otherwise.

When I attend Cadillac GN and local events, I feel Like I'm one of the younger members.  Although I'm a young 58 and can easily pass for 57.5 years old, still at that age I should be about average at least.  Maybe this is the way it is has always been, where age 70 or so is average age.  Also, I'm a minority in our club in that I have three children; at the time I bought my 1970 DVC my children were age 6, 8 and 10 years old.  Although my children are not super interested in the hobby now at ages 20, 22 and 24, they may be and were exposed to it.  The majority of the CLC members I know are retired with children out of the house when they started in the CLC, childless or never married.

Maybe I should start a post on this topic?

Scot...How young are you expecting the average individual to be before having both feet in the old car hobby?

Most young people (by definition) simply don't have the time, money and resources. They're either in college, many of whom saddled with debt when the get out, paying mortgages, raising families- or any combination of the three. In such a situation, the responsibilities of maintaining and curating an older car is simply out of the question.

The old car community has always mainly comprised of retirees and/or those who've achieved some degree of financial independence and control over their lives.

If what you're suggesting is true- that members of the community are dying off and not being replaced by "new blood" (a/k/a new money), the first thing you would see is a decline in old car values. But it is the reverse that has been happening, which lately has been with astonishing speed.  Now this is not to necessarily suggest all vehicles are affected equally but the upward surge of the market as a whole has been undeniable.

Scot Minesinger

wrench

My humble opinion is that the lack of mechanics who can adjust a carburetor and change points and time an ignition is going to contribute to the demise of the classic car hobby. It will go the way of civil war re-enactors and scattered meetings of eccentrics who talk historical minutia about the days when people had private property and the rich ones had Cadillacs.

It is a cultural thing. We evolved to a throw away society which became aggravated by cheap Chinese er, um, stuff. The virtues of self reliance, critical thinking skills and durable goods have been taken over by an electronic world view that spoon feeds people what commercial interests want people to 'be interested in'

You can keep your Pollyannish views that this hobby is not going to crater in the near future, but I figure it's 20 years max. 

And anecdotes like this car will become all too common here.

Heck, it wasn't too long ago we had 'Cash for clunkers' and at least NJ talked about banning old cars completely. There was public outcry back then, but I think in the near future there won't be any support for the old car hobby.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Quote from: wrench on April 21, 2019, 09:01:58 AM
You can keep your Pollyannish views that this hobby is not going to crater in the near future, but I figure it's 20 years max. 

Some "public figures" have been prophesying we have just 12 years before the end of the world too.  ::)

Oh, and the stock market was supposed to tank depending upon a certain condition that came to pass- according to a number of so-called "experts". 

The only thing that's certain is the unpredictability of what the future holds.  In any case, the dire prophesies of the fate of classic car hobby & industry - at least at this point - seem to be a bit premature. 

INTMD8

Quote from: wrench on April 21, 2019, 09:01:58 AM
My humble opinion is that the lack of mechanics who can adjust a carburetor and change points and time an ignition is going to contribute to the demise of the classic car hobby.

I would think anyone that spent 10 minutes reading a service manual could accomplish this, it's just too easy.

If that somehow caused the demise of the hobby and prices crash, fine by me. I have some garage space to fill  ;D