News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

72 Fleetwood Brougham 60 special Leaking into trunk

Started by 72caddy, April 17, 2019, 04:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72caddy

I have a 72 Fleetwood Brougham 60 special with a perfect vinyl top and trunk seal yet my trunk leaks on the passenger corner right below where rear deck meets back glass. Any ideas? Thanks
rleigh59@hotmail.com

Cadillac Fleetwood

If there is no visible sign of bubbling or rust at the lower edge of the vinyl roof, or at the lower corner of the rear window, there could be hidden perforations in the window channel.  Water accumulates in the channel beneath the trim moulding, and because of the angle of the channel, water can collect there. Corrosion begins, and small rust perforations allow that water to enter the trunk compartment.  Water entering from that location often collects on the inner panel that forms the aft end of the package shelf. You can see this by laying supine in the trunk and examining the areas surrounding, and ahead of the trunk hinge.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

35-709

IMO, the quicker you pull that rear window trim (and maybe the rear window) and fix the beginnings of what will be a much bigger problem, the less damage and expense you are going to have down the road.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

chrisntam

My '70 (convertible) had corrosion under the trunk weatherstrip.

Run water with the garden hose around the trunk seal only to rule that out.  If no water enters there, then run the water on the back glass.

Seems like you'll be getting in the trunk like me except I'm looking at the hydraulic shock, you'll be looking for where the water is coming in.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=155144.0

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

What that leak looks like when you pull out the window and vinyl top...

\m/
Laurie

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all