News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Starting after sitting

Started by maseratibillm, April 17, 2019, 10:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maseratibillm

My '60, 62 has been sitting for some time (2+ years) any ideas or sequences to do before starting and trying to drive? Thanks in advance for the help

D.Yaros

Check  -ALL-  fluid levels, not just engine oil
Check brakes to see if they work
Check that will freely turn
Make sure you have a fully charged battery
Crank engine to see if pistons move
          [If they do, prior to start disconnect coil wire and crank to build up oil pressure]
Check gaps of points and plugs
Check gas; remove gas gap and smell
          [If possible drain tank and add fresh gas]
          [If not possible run fuel pump to carb line from a container of fresh gas]
Fill carb fuel bowls with fresh gas via carb vent tubes.
Reconnect coil wire, set choke, crank and hopefully start

Have someone standing by with a fire extinguisher -
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

TJ Hopland

What condition was it in when it was parked? 

What sort of climate/environment has it been sitting in?

Ethanol in the gas?  Any sort of fuel stabilizer added at any point?  How full is the tank?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

V63

FUEL: Most important is fuel quality, is it stale fuel? The problem with stale fuel is it will run on it but it will also seize the valves. I typically will remove the gas cap and do a sniff test...I can readily distinguish the hint of the odor of stale fuel. If in doubt CHANGE all the FUEL! I do not recommend mixing in fresh fuel with stale.  Moreover, Marvel mystery oil would be recommended mix with fresh fuel .

fishnjim

I would change and observe condition of all the fluids not just check them.   Corrosion happens, fluids oxidize, etc.   Don't forget the trans too.   Rearend not so much, but looks for seal leaks, level etc.   Tires can go out of life too.   Check manuf date etc.
Tune-up parts for sure, points, cap, lugs, maybe plug wires if over 5 years.
Key to crank to get oil up before any starting.   Don't want a stiction issue.   There's also the pull the distributor and run the oil pump with drill technique.   
I'd check the wiring(visual) too.   Mice like insulation for some reason.   
I use a system approach.   Check each one before the whole.   
A lot depends what was done to store it, nothing or ?   These tend to happen rather than plan for unfortunately.   Good luck.

Varooom

I had a mechanic advise me years ago to take an oil can (do they exist anymore?) and squirt one squirt of oil in the all cylinders thru the spark plug holes and let it sit for a day or so.  It will loosen any rust that may be in there.

I did this with a 1949 straight 8 that had been sitting for 15 years.  Put in fresh plugs.  Poured two tablespoons of gas in the carb and it fired right up.  Promptly died but fed it more gas, turned it over and she ran.  Smoked out all the mosquitos from the neighborhood too!

Don't forget water in the radiator!
Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Buick Roadmaster 76S
1949 Roadmaster 76C
old favorites: 1967 Eldorado (tan), 1983 Sedan DeVille, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 1962 Chevy Impala, 1969 Lincoln Mark II, 1973 BMW Bavaria, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 1968 BMW 1600, 1952 GMC Pickup, 1953 Mercury Monterrey, 1956 Ford Victoria