News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1950 Cadillac Series 61 sedan lowering

Started by arton4wheels, April 22, 2019, 07:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arton4wheels

While not wanting to do anything radical, I am trying to decide whether or not to lower the stance on my sedan.  I am wondering if anyone here has done just that, be it a little or a lot and what your results looks like.  Photos would be good.  I just feel that the OE stance is boring and on a four door with the smaller wheelbase, makes it look more like a taxi.  I want it tasteful and hardly noticeable that the height isn't factory.  I will either cut coil springs or buy new lowering ones from Eaton Spring.
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

I prefer email over PM  arton4wheels@yahoo.com

The Tassie Devil(le)

Whatever you do, don't cut the coils as this will just make the ride a lot harder than it is now.

Imagine a leaf spring being shortened.   You end up with less material for the spring to move.
This is the same as cutting down a coil spring.   A Coil Spring is just a length of spring steel wound up.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

arton4wheels

I'm really leaning towards getting custom made springs as that is supposed to give me the height that I chose without sacrificing ride quality.  The problem is that I just do not know what height I want until I see it.  I just may have to cut my own coils in steps till I find where I like it, then order the coils.  This is gonna be a lot of work, trial, and error.  If only I could see some good examples of perhaps 1" or 2".  I doubt I will want any lower that that as I am not down with the lowered look at all, just want to improve the stance.
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

J. Gomez

Quote from: arton4wheels on April 26, 2019, 03:52:35 PM
  I'm really leaning towards getting custom made springs as that is supposed to give me the height that I chose without sacrificing ride quality.  The problem is that I just do not know what height I want until I see it.  I just may have to cut my own coils in steps till I find where I like it, then order the coils.  This is gonna be a lot of work, trial, and error.  If only I could see some good examples of perhaps 1" or 2".  I doubt I will want any lower that that as I am not down with the lowered look at all, just want to improve the stance.

Ken,

You can place a post at the Modified chapter http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/ it is possible someone has already gone with the same trial and tribulations  ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

arton4wheels

Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

Caddy Wizard

Here is how to figure it out.  Simple, but should work for you.

Measure the bumper (or fender) height at each end of the car.  Take pictures to compare.  Then let air pressure out of the tires enough to lower the car by one inch.  Start with the front (lowering the front, while leaving the back at stock gives you an agressive look).  See if you like that.  Then lower the back by that same one inch.  Then lower the front by another inch and see if you like that.  Then the back too.  You might be able to do this 2 or 3 times.

If I were lowering the ride height at all, I'd want to lower it in the front and keep the back stock.  Unfortunately, it is easiest to lower the back (by installing lowering blocks between the leaf springs and the rear axle tubes).  Lowering the front ride height requires shorter springs (as noted elsewhere here, don't just cut the existing springs).

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)