News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Time to replace tires!

Started by quadfins, April 24, 2019, 08:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quadfins

Disaster, waiting to happen.

Serves as a reminder for us all to thoroughly check all aspects on a regular basis.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hi Jim -- glad you noticed that!

Out of curiosity, how old are those tires?

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

quadfins

About ten years, maybe a little more.

Driven regularly. I feel like I did get my money's worth out of them.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

The Tassie Devil(le)

From the marks that I can see on the outer tread of the tyre, the rubber looks like it has perish cracks in it.

I can see that it is a radial ply, but the tread and sidewall looks like it is a cross ply tyre.

When did you first notice the missing bit?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
I think Jim's "funning" us. That looks like some POS tire that was a spare in a 54 Cadillac. If you guys want to see an REALLY old tire please ask.
LOL, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

This tyre was on my '72 when it went.   Had a full load of passengers, and going for a drive.

I heard the tread hitting the inner fender well, and luckily wasn't going fast.

Three Months later, another one went.   The third picture

PS.   The silly part was that I purchased the car in 2007, picked it up in 2008 in Detroit, and by the time I was about to depart Connecticut, after departing the Cherry Hill GN,  the first tyre problem reared its' ugly head.   Steel Belt separation.   These tyres were virtually brand new in condition, but a few years old.   Last picture   These tyres were Coopers

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

quadfins

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 24, 2019, 10:10:18 PM
From the marks that I can see on the outer tread of the tyre, the rubber looks like it has perish cracks in it.

I can see that it is a radial ply, but the tread and sidewall looks like it is a cross ply tyre.

When did you first notice the missing bit?

A couple of months ago, I started noticing a harmonic vibration and noise. I thought it was driveline-related.

I didn't drive much in winter, so about a month ago, I crawled under to inspect and investigate. That's when I saw a crack along the edge of the tread, near the sidewall. The separated chunk was hidden, because it was at the very bottom, against the floor. I moved the car out of the garage, into the driveway to put the spare tire on, and that's when I saw the missing chunks.

I was surprised that it still held air, with the loss of so much rubber, and the cords exposed.

When I drove it to the Wisconsin Grand National, some years ago, I ran over a nail, which created a slow leak. I did not notice that until the next morning. I think that my search for a repair place, on low pressure, might have caused the beginnings of the tread separation. The first few places would not repair a bias-ply tire, so it took some distance to get it fixed.

And now, it finally went.

I ordered a new set of tires, which arrived yesterday, so the car is in dry dock today. I'll post pics of the "new shoes" when they are installed.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Dan LeBlanc

Looking at the tread wear, I think you were due for a new set anyway!   :P
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

quadfins

Yes, you are correct. The tread separation served as the motivator.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Make sure to post some pictures with the new sneakers on.

How many miles did you get out of them Jim?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Greg Powers

This is probably the most neglected feature on all collector cars. Tires no matter what they look like have a shelf life. All of our modern manufactured tires have a date code stamped into the rubber near the bead. Unless you have a "trailer queen" you should consider discarding perfectly good looking tires that have aged before they blow out. (Even "trailer queens" need new shoes from time to time) I had this discussion with a member once regarding a set of Uniroyal Royal Seal tires that were on his Cadillac. To show the car, they are in fact the original factory tire but to drive on them could prove deadly. If a tire tread pulls away from the carcass it can do tremendous damage to your car before you can safely stop. When I first bought my 1958 I had it parked in the garage and one day noticed a flat tire. When I went to inflate the tire I found a portion of the tread as big as my hand that had  blow out of the tire. Just the weight of the Cadillac had caused this to happen, thankfully the car was parked and no further damage. I know this forum always debates  bias vs radial but perhaps an even greater concern should be age. Many modern tire manufacturers take no responsibility for tires that are over seven years old.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Dan LeBlanc

Tires are the first thing I replace on any old car when I buy it.

Case in point, when I picked up my 77, the tread on the tires seemed brand new. Still had the nubs on them. I knew the car covered approximately 200 miles in the last 5 years so it seemed plausible that the tires could have been fairly recent. Checked the date code and found they were manufactured in 2005. I ordered 4 new tires and haven't driven the car much yet as the new tires are still in the wrapper. I've driven around the block a few times and to the gas station, but that's it.

I figured it was close enough to winter that I might as well leave the old tires on. If I'm going to flat spot a set from sitting all winter, it might as well be those. Once the balancer at work gets recalibrated, the new ones are going on.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

bcroe

My rule for tires is 6 years.  I often take the frequently driven tires off
(in much less than 6 years) and put them on less frequently driven cars,
so I am regularly refreshing them all but only buying for one.  Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

There must be a conspiracy these days as I have been using tyres for many years that were 20 plus years old with no problems.

When money was tight, as it usually is, I would even fit retreads, or go to the wreckers and get what I could find that would fit.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

quadfins

Here are the new "shoes".

Diamondback 8.20 bias-look radials, with 2 1/4 WW. Since I am moving to Display Only, they are a good compromise between authenticity and drivability. I hope I will recover the 2 mpg that I lost when I switched to the bias plies 11 years ago.

Smooth, quiet ride. Tread width on the old bias was 5 1/2, these are 6 inches. so the extra footprint should provide better grip on slippery surfaces. If plans work out, I will get a long road test driving from Virginia to the GN in Louisville in June.
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4