News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Dormant 76 Seville EFI

Started by Matt CLC#18621, April 25, 2019, 01:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC#18621

Hello,

I am looking at a 1976 Seville with 58,000 that has been parked in the widow’s garage for 15 plus years with a 2002 inspection sticker.

Assuming the electronic fuel injection is not functioning properly, is it easier to convert without hesitation to a carburetor? Are the 76 EFI parts readily available?

What about Seville parts in general, e.g. all the calipers are frozen?

If a conversion was undertaken, any pitfalls I should be aware of in advance and abandon this project?

Which CLC Members are the 76 through 79 Seville experts?

Thank you in advance,
Matt CLC# 18621

TMoore - NTCLC

Hi Matt -

Bruce Roe is a frequent poster, and he is hands-down your man for any EFI questions.

Depending on the reason for the retirement of the vehicle, it could mean about the same for bringing any car out of slumber, with a few additional steps required for the EFI.  First and foremost, if you are keeping the EFI, you will want to replace all of the injector seals - not a big job, and really should be part of regular maintenance.  There are other steps as well (both fuel pumps operable, fuel regulator working, temp sensors good) that will need to be checked out.

As with any cars of this vintage, you should consider changing out the timing gear set if it has not been done.

As far as parts - most of the non-EFI parts are available thru most suppliers (brake calipers, pads, hoses, belts, engine parts etc.), so that should not be an issue - at the end of the day, the engine is a 350 Oldsmobile.

If you decide to convert to carb, you will need several parts, and best to source them from a carbed parts car - it gets a bit detailed.  If there is a chance the EFI is in good shape, I think you will be pleased with the performance - I think it is superior to the carbed engine. 

Keep us posted, and post pictures.

60eldo

Ive got some 76 seville parts I want to sell PW switches rad ect, if you need anything you can give me a call I will tell you what Ive got  905 706 2747 Jon
Jon. Klu

bcroe

In my opinion converting to a carb (doing it right) is more difficulty
than fixing the EFI.  I would at least try the EFI before writing it off. 
The conversion parts might come from any late 70s 350/403 Olds
engine car, including the intake, carb, pump, and tank pickup unit,
the activated carbon canister (yours has no carb port), and other
stuff. 

To get my 79 EFI up I replaced all those high pressure fuel lines
back to the tank, injector seals, had the injectors cleaned and checked. 
I repair those ECUs myself, check the pair of 2 wire EFI temp sensors
for a cold resistance around 1000 ohms.  Open circuit will end cold
enrichment.  Check for good fuel pressure.  good luck, Bruce Roe

Matt CLC#18621

Thank you.

How many estimated mechanical hours to reinvigorate an engine that has sat idle for many years and was running when it was parked?

Attempted to turn it over but gas was spilling out and it definitely smelled like varnish so I suggested to the seller that no further attempt be made until the fuel was drained and replaced.

Thank you,

Matt

TMoore - NTCLC

Hi Matt -

Where was the gas "spilling out"?  Since this is a high-pressure fuel system, all of the lines from tank to fuel rail should be replaced (as well as the return lines).  If it was leaking near the tank, the rubber lines from tank to pump are likely shot, or the fuel filter canister gasket has failed; if it was leaking in the engine compartment, then it may very well be the aforementioned injector seals - must be replaced.

Yes, get the old gas drained out - make sure both the in-tank and pressure pump are good before you buckle everything up and replace the rubber lines and fuel filter/gasket (this is a lousy fuel filter set-up where the disposable filter element sits inside a canister that is threaded onto a filter base - I have had problems with leaks here - it is located right next to the high pressure pump, just forward of the driver's side rear wheel axle).

It is really difficult to estimate how long it will take to get everything up-to-snuff.  I do these things over time, and not at all at once, so I seldom spend more than a couple of hours on a single system refresh, but doing everything at once could add up to a few hours.

Let us know what you find out -