News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

76 Brougham Mechanical Fuel pump

Started by Brougham 76, April 27, 2019, 03:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brougham 76

Recently replaced my OEM fuel pump with an airtex unit.
Everything seems fine, no more fuel leaks but a ticking sound is observed especially at cold starts.  Is it possible the unit is defective?

James Landi

Electric fuel pumps "tick"---a fast tick is usually an audio signal that fuel is flowing more rapidly and with greater volume in contrast with a relatively slow, rhythmic tick, and that means that your carburetor is fully filled, and that the pump is holding pressure against the fuel lines, their related connections, the fuel bowl and the carburetor needle valve.  It's a good idea to follow fully the direction for electrical installation.     Hope this helps, James

Brougham 76

Thankyou for your detailed reply,
But my fuel pump is mechanical and attached to the engine block.
Pump looks like this

TJ Hopland

Is it kinda a clanking sound that you mostly hear at idle in gear from inside the car?   Its hard to pin down with the hood open and gets more or less drowned out by other noise when driving?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

MeToo

May not be the fuel pump at all thats ticking? My '76 on cold starts will tick for a few seconds after starting , its something about old valve tappets that haven't been run for a while and it takes a few seconds for them to get enough lubrication.

Brougham 76

It might be that I have noticed the sound after installing the fuel pump
It only occurs after a cold start at idle

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

If the pump arm was forced during installation it is possible the arm is loose. If you suspect that noise just started when you changed the pump it might be worth getting a new pump and following the FSM procedure replace it.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-