News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Encouraging a New Generation

Started by Greg Powers, April 28, 2019, 10:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Powers

I know that we have had several discussions on this forum about the future of this hobby that we have come to love. Sometimes the future looks quite bleak but I had an experience this weekend that gave me new hope. Typically we tend to support  car shows and events that are structured for "folks like us". Unfortunately the car owners and crowds are beginning to look as old as their cars. I took a new approach and connected with some of the members of a fraternity at our local college who were sponsoring a charity car show. They were very interested in how to get their message out to car collectors and attended several local cruise-ins to distribute fliers. I showed up Saturday in my 1954 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan and I was amazed at the number of young people who surrounded my car. The show was full of European sports cars, even a Bentley convertible and several American Muscle Cars. It was however that big black Cadillac that peaked their interest. They loved the bench seats, the enormous rear passenger area, the hidden gas cap, the Autronic Eye, even the wide whitewalls. Many wanted to sit in the back seat or behind the steering wheel and I was more than happy to allow them to do so. I had several interesting conversations with some of the young men as they were wondering what the car world would look like when they reached my age. I was happy to tell them that they gave me great hope for tomorrow.  I hope that many of you will get out into the community and share your cars and your knowledge with young people. You may have to think outside the box and maybe even travel a bit out of your comfort zone. I think you'll be glad that you did. I"m planning on trying to help my new friends with their show for next year. And by the way, I won Best Of Show.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

hornetball

Among my myriad car activities, I'm also a high-performance driving instructor.  I meet lots of young car guys.  They love the Eldo when I've brought it out for parade laps.  I always get a laugh when I explain that once you go beyond 5000#'s and 500CID, the car officially becomes a ship (rather than a boat).

Let's face it, even in our older generations -- while many may appreciate the old cars -- there are only a few of us true-crazies!

Scot Minesinger

Great post, and I could not agree more - drive and show your car, essentially sharing it with the world.  best way to promote the hobby.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

A friend of mine takes great pride in letting people sit in his '71 Eldorado Convertible at shows.   He actually encourages them when they really don't want to.   And has been doing it for years.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   My Eldo is the green one in the background.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

Nice car and nice color there Bruce!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bill Young

I wholeheartedly agree with allowing people to sit in your old Cadillac . I in all fairness should add that I believe that the Lord calls us to share our possessions and not to hoard them but that said , when I was a kid and attended any car show and people never let me even breathe on their precious Model A Ford or what ever it had the affect of creating no interest in them at all. To this day I would not give garage space or a nickel for a Model A Ford. I have nothing against them per say just ambivalent .

chrisntam

I took my 17 yr old nephew to the swap meet this past weekend.  It was his first.

Within 15 minutes of being there he said he wanted to come again next year.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas