News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Deville Upper Rear Control Arms - Is this a problem?

Started by chrisntam, May 01, 2019, 10:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Finally getting around to installing the rear upper control arms on the '70.  Dealing with cutting the body a bit to get bolts out and addressing rusty fuel lines that were in the way of one of the bolts.

The lowers went on fine and were the correct length.  The replacement uppers are 3/4" longer, hole to hole centerline.

If I install them, the pinion angle will change, moving it up.  With the old uppers installed, the pinion is about level or a little under level.  If I roll the upper mount for the control arm back (on the rear end) so I can install the arm, I think the pinion angle will be too high. It could stand to be moved up a bit (so it is directly in line with the driveshaft), but I think it will be too much.

I'll call the manufacturer in the morning and see what they say.  They appear to have adjustable uppers, that may be what I have to do.

I got them from PMT Fabrication in Fort Wayne, IN.  Rather that buying bushings and trying to press them in the overly rusty arms, I figured I'd buy new replacement arms.

And here's the car on the "lift".   ;)

The last pic is of the pinion/driveshaft, it is nearly level and the bolt holes aren't close.

Just sharing my woes....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

mario

I replaced mine on my 68 deville with the same ones. I did use the adjustable uppers, though. Very impressed with the quality of the workmanship. You could reinstall the original uppers the take a driveline angle measurement. Then install the uppers and check the angle to see the difference. I believe there was another thread that discussed the fact that the cardan (sp) joints compensated for the mis-alignment more than regular u-joints.
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

chrisntam

I talked with Mark @ PMT this morning, he is making a pair of arms at the length I need.  He's also putting the grease zert where I need it so it's more readily accessible.

He didn't think the adjustable arms were needed.

I don't know at what angle the pinion should be at so measuring it would really do any good (for me).

Thanks for the reply Mario!

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas