News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Disassembly of flathead air cleaner filter element

Started by Jeff Hansen, May 05, 2019, 04:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Hansen

Has anyone ever successfully disassembled the filter element of a '37 to '48 flathead air cleaner?  The piece that contains the mesh - see photo.  I picked up a decent complete unit at Carlisle the other weekend and my intention is to restore it as a spare.  The mesh is filthy and I'd like to remove it and clean the entire element housing.

I've never been able to get one apart.  If anyone has done so, how did you do it?

Thanks!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Daryl Chesterman

The website below applies to farm tractors, but an oil-bath air cleaner on "most" cars is basically the same.
As you read in the website, for basic maintenance, the mesh part of the air cleaner is not made to be disassembled, as they are spot-welded together.  As you will read, there are various methods to try to clean the mesh, depending on how dirty it is and how resistant the oily dirt is to solvents.

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ferg&th=107883

Daryl Chesterman

harry s

Jeff, I spent Thursday at Carlisle sorry I missed you. I took one apart by cutting the spokes and removing the mesh. Then cutting and smoothing the spot welds.  I was experimenting with the idea of adding a paper air filter. The mesh that came out was nasty. Chev's of the 40s sells replacement mesh. I ended up replacing the original element and using a paper filter (Fram CA 146). I used a 1/2" spacer under it for correct height. Not original looking but works well for driving.   Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Tom Boehm

I did not take mine apart. I soaked it in paint thinner/lacquer thinner/ parts cleaner ( one of the three, I don't remember which) and it dissolved all the old oil and came out clean.

Bobby B

Quote from: harry s on May 05, 2019, 07:13:33 PM
I ended up replacing the original element and using a paper filter (Fram CA 146). I used a 1/2" spacer under it for correct height. Not original looking but works well for driving.   Harry

I did the same and used a K & N Filter in there. Forget that outdated Oil Nonsense. Cars runs great with a modern Filter.....
                                                                                                 Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

z3skybolt

Well...

...once again I may have learned something here.  The air filter on my 346 does not have any kind of filter in it.   Just about one inch of oil in the bottom of the pan.   I thought that somehow that filtered the oil?  My 1948 Farmall tractor just has oil in the air filter bowl so I thought nothing of it.

Perhaps that is why I get a bit of oil sucked up around the carb and a thin layer on the intake manifold.  So.....I think I will empty the oil and get a paper filter.  Guess my "metal mesh" filter was just missing.  Have driven it over 5,000 miles that way.

Ignorance on my part. Or do I totally misunderstand?

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Bobby B

Quote from: z3skybolt on May 05, 2019, 09:25:11 PM
Have driven it over 5,000 miles that way.

Bob,
  OMG! The engine is probably ruined by now. I'll gladly take the car off your hands ;D.........
                                                                       Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jeff Hansen

Gentlemen,

I thank you all for your responses.

I use the mesh element when I have my '42 judged nationally.  Otherwise, I use a paper element when I am just running around (NAPA 22055 works great!) or am at local shows.

Examining the element closely, I now see the spot welds.  Tiny little buggers, aren't they?  I will try the various cleaning solutions mentioned (parts cleaner, thinner, gas) to clean the mesh.

Thanks again!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Ron Parker

Harry, So you cut out the mesh and put the paper filter in the housing right? What did you make the spacer out of? Thanks Ron Parker

Jeff Hansen

Ron,

No need to cut anything!  Just remove the entire canister containing the mesh and replace THAT with the paper element.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Ron Parker

Thanks for that information. Did you use a spacer and if so what did you make it out of? Ron Parker

harry s

I used a piece of 1/2" thick left over DynaDeck matting. It is pretty durable and doesn't catch fire easily. It is pretty impressive how much better the car runs with the paper filter.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Ron Parker

Thanks Harry, I can't wait to find out what it is like to have a fresh 346.Ron Parker

z3skybolt

Does anyone else think that I have no idea what I am doing?

Well...my LaSalle does have a mesh filter in the air cleaner after all.  Oil bath system.  Mine looks very clean from the bottom. I thought I'd replace it with a paper filter as others have done anyhow.  So how do I get the mesh filter out of the air cleaner itself?

The mesh filter seems to be permanently affixed to the air cleaner...perhaps by tiny weld spots? I can find no edges or obvious way to remove it.  Yet the decal on the air cleaner says to remove and clean the filter every 5,000 miles.

Dumb and dumber,

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Jeff Hansen

Bob,

See my photo at the top of this thread.  Just remove that entire assembly and replace it with one of the paper elements mentioned.  It should come right out of the pan that holds the oil.

Or are you saying that the assembly I have pictured is spot welded to the air cleaner itself?

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

harry s

I just converted the air cleaner on my '41 today to paper. The oil bath element was pretty firmly attached to the main upper housing. Bob sounds like you are having the same experience. It took a little force to finally get it out.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Tom Beaver

A Fram # CA 148 is a direct replacement for the entire oil bath assembly, no spacers or any other modifications required.  The only original parts still used are the outer oil bath housing and the top (that connects to the carburetor). A good and very easy conversion.

Tom Beaver

harry s

Tom, Yes I see the Fram CA148 would be a better fit (OD 8.4" x H 3.23") than the CA 146 (OD 8.02" x H 3.02").    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bill Ingler #7799

Here is another filter which has the same dimensions as CA 148 and is black. Number is NAPA Gold 2055.   Bill

35-709

The NAPA Gold filter is made by Wix, the Wix filter is far and away the better filter.  You can tell just by looking at the pleats and the paper itself that the Wix is better than the cheap Fram.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2