News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2006 DTS

Started by JerRita, May 05, 2019, 09:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerRita

I never considered a newer Cadillac Our newest model is a 91 Brougham A friend is giving up driving and has a black 2006 DTS w/ 98K Its always been dealer maintained and in good to very good cond. The kids don't want it or to deal with buyers and I was thinking of buying it. I've driven it a few times and it is nice What are your thoughts on value, reliability and comfort. Thanks JeRita
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

Greg Powers

Unfortunately however beautiful the car may be, it is powered by the infamous Northstar engine. At almost 100,000 miles a Cadillac of this age could be a nightmare about to happen. Once they start to have overheating problems and the like, they are usually not worth fixing. They are very comfortable cars to drive but reliability could be a big question mark. Unless you get the car for a very reasonable price the value will just go down as the miles add up. If you are looking for something slightly newer to drive I would suggest the 1994 - 1996 Fleetwood Brougham with the 5.7 LT 1 engine.   
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Jim Miller

I had a 2006 DTS. Loved that car. But as previous mentioned - the Northstar engine. I am painstaking with service, but at 60,000 miles the issues started. I moved on to a 2013 XTS which was a very nice car.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

It depends on the condition and price.

Improvements to the Northstar engine were made over the years and I think 2006 qualifies as a fairly "safe zone" as far as HG issues are concerned.

I've never much been a subscriber to the theory of "mileage related" failure. I've seen all kinds of failures occur with mileage accumulations all over the map; the variables involved are virtually infinite including minor inconsistencies when the car had been originally manufactured, the results of which may not become apparent  until years afterward 

"Around it goes, where it stops, nobody knows..." may as well be the operative principle here.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

jdemerson

My understandings about the Northstar V8 are similar to Eric's. I thought that by 2006 the Northstars were as reliable as other comparable engines, but I'm sure a lot depends on how carefully and frequently they were maintained.

FWIW, here is what Wikipedia reports on the infamous head-gasket (and bolt) problem:The most common years of the head gasket issue, by far, are 1997-1999. In 2000, Cadillac lengthened the head bolts, which decreased the chance of having the failure; however, it did not eliminate the issue entirely.[3] Starting in model year 2004.5, the head bolts were once again replaced, this time using GM's small-block V8 "LS6" head bolts, which were longer than the originals but also crucially had a coarser thread with superior grip.[3] This effectively mitigated the issue, making the 2005-2011 Northstar V8s no more prone to head gasket failure than other production aluminum V8 engines; these Northstars are the most desirable versions for their longevity and reliability.

I think a well-maintained 2006 DTS in good condition could be a very attractive model to own. There is a limousine service in the area that had at least a couple of them, and I know the company owner was happy with them and went out of his way to find another to buy.

If the record and data gathered reveal significant problems with the Northstars from 2005 to 2011, I'd be interested to learn of the specifics.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X

John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Quote from: jdemerson on May 06, 2019, 09:31:12 AM

FWIW, here is what Wikipedia reports on the infamous head-gasket (and bolt) problem:The most common years of the head gasket issue, by far, are 1997-1999.

Believe it or not, the only two Northstars that ever gave me trouble were a 1998 & 1999 with 63,000 and 44,000 miles respectively.

Last fall I sold a 2009 DTS with 191,000 miles. I nearly dismissed it outright but after giving it a good look, I could find no reason not to buy it (at the price which was very cheap). It was a one owner car that ran and looked great that obviously spent a lot of time on the highway. I'm a firm believer that highway mileage has very little bearing on driveline wear.

Better grab it if the car checks out and the price is low. If they want it gone as fast as you say, you're going to miss out if you don't act promptly.

76eldo

If the price is right I’d go for it.  Very nice comfortable car.

I bought a 2007 DTS a few years ago with 40,000 on it.
I had a Northstar specialize do preventive maintenance on it at about 52,000 miles.
Changed all fluids in the car, did all the services that the dealer does at 50,000.

By 2006 they straightened out the Northstar issues as far as I’m concerned.

I’d go for it if the price is good.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

To date I've only seen one '06 with a HG issue in person and only heard of a couple of others. But these are in the small minority.

I wouldn't worry about an '06 either if everything checks out and the car is clean without any signs of obvious abuse. It is normal for the temp gauge to read a tick above the halfway mark when fully warmed up. Anything beyond is not a good sign.

D.Smith

I loved my 2007 DTS.     The head gasket issues were mostly fixed my 2005.   However the service advisor at my local Cadillac dealer said they were still prone to oil leaks and that due to the fact that once the gaskets start leaking it is very costly to replace them all.   He said drive the car until it starts leaking oil, then once then smell bothers you trade it in.

I noticed a few drips at 70K miles.  So I traded it in.   They didn't recommend the 2013 XTS as a replacement so I ended up buying a Chrysler 300.

David King (kz78hy)

Offer $4500 and spend the next 5 years driving a VERY nice car.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

JerRita

Thanks all for your comments I will go take it for a drive which I haven't done in a while and talk to the kids and see what happens. I wanted to go in with my eyes open JeRita
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

76eldo

If you like the car, I would ask them what they want for it.  To them it's a useless old car that they don't want.  They may surprise you with a low asking price.

I usually take an average between Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds, and NADA for values.  At 100,000 miles Nada lists it at $2,662 for a rough trade in,  $3,337
for a clean trade in, and $5,287 for clean retail.

Personally I like the look of the newer Cadillac sedans but they ride and feel like a very generic GM V6 powered vehicle.  Great looking and nicely appointed but in my opinion the DTS has the best ride and performance.  Factor in the price differential for a clean used DTS and a one or two year old sedan it's a no brainer.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

V63

I have had several DTS, ‘06-11. I think they are of GREAT value. The most miles I put on one was over 160k. It did develop an oil leak that Was  coming from the oil filter housing attachment. I sold it because I bought another lower mile example.

Issues I’ve found are almost all have needed motor mounts. Front Struts. Front Brake rotors. Water pumps, little guys...more of a bugger to put in than one would think given its visual accessibility. I put a transmission in one...$3,500 ordeal.  I suspect the transmission cooler line had been tampered during some prior service. It had blown apart at highway speeds, plastic keeper,  I lost overdrive...then 3rd before I could get pulled off. Transmission was toast😭

All mine have been higher HP versions. Performance and platinum models.

The AC system, I’ve never had any issues with, moreover...even in extreme desert heat, system works FANTASTIC!

The best mileage average I have seen is about 20mpg with long trips of over 350 miles. So I figure 20mpg for trip ⛽️  costs.

Creature comforts abound, including automatic dimming return! Awesome Bose sound system...but I’ve found you need to purchase satellite service to get the full ‘enhanced’  experience. System has a factory sub woofer. I have upgraded mine with latest pioneer systems (deck only) this expands latest map and blootooth technology, retaining factory steering wheel controls. Then add Backup camera too.