News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Power Windows

Started by Ben Acheff, May 06, 2019, 11:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Acheff

Hi, I've got a 1959 Cadillac Series 62 6-windows hardtop.  The power windows work, but they have a difficult time moving up and down.  I've read that there are some silicone-based lubricants you can spray into window channels on newer cars to assist with power windows, but I'm not sure about using them on a car of this vintage.  Do you know if this is safe and if so, what products should I look to buy for this application?

David Greenburg

You can try lubricating the window track with silicone spray, but the problem is more likely due to old dried up grease in the window motors.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

BlackCads

In my experience the problem is usually worn-out window motors. You can try lubricating the channels and rollers. Test the windows before you re-attach the door panels. If that works, great. If the windows are still sluggish you should replace the motors.

Glen

Quote from: David Greenburg on May 06, 2019, 04:35:14 PM
You can try lubricating the window track with silicone spray, but the problem is more likely due to old dried up grease in the window motors.

I'll second that.  Taking a motor out and cleaning it and putting new grease in the gears does wonders. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

60eldo

If your need new motors I have some. AC delco
Jon. Kluczynski