News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Spray on chrome 'plating'

Started by johngmm7, May 07, 2019, 01:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johngmm7

Has anyone any experience with this.  The chrome on my car is good in general but on the lower under edges of the bumper for instance, it could look a little better as the rusting is quite deep.  I am thinking of trying to improve it with one of the numerous spray-on systems or shakers.  My car is nice but not a show car so I'm looking for something reasonable as the rear bumper/light surrounds were expensive to plate by a shop. Many thanks.

fishnjim

You still have to prep the surface to make it look smooth and it's not a spray in the back yard job.   Sounds like your car has scraped, it's been gouged, and rust resulted requiring metal work.   Common malady on the land yachts.
Personally, I'd look for replacement pieces (junk yard suppliers) or one of the big chrome bumper exchange places.   You're not after show chrome, so why pay the high dollar and make the rest look bad?   
I've looked at it for another project that won't be in "chrome".   The paint is about $250+ a gallon and they charge by the sq in. of coverage.   It's two step, and it needs pure water to set up and they have a special machine to apply it.   I'd seek out a body shop that has a machine and do a test before committing to a large $$.   They look alright if the whole car is done, but it's paint so chipping, lifting, etc is expected. 
You can do what every other owner has done but swears they'd never do or did and get a rattle can of "chrome" paint and spray out the rust spots - down under.   'Aluminum" paint also.

Lowrider2905

Hi,

I saw 2 guys with chrome foil wrapped bumpers. These where 70´s cars with sqare shaped bumpers. Works pretty well, sure the surface has to be smoothend, cause you would see every imperfection. But its a cheap fix and looks way better than a rattlecanjob.

I prefer real chrome and I am glad that I can disassemble my 66 bumper to send only the slightly rusted corners away for replating.

Greetings, Richard

johngmm7

Thanks to all for replying and for the advice.  From a couple of feet away, my car looks like a show car. None of the rust can be seen unless looking underneath the front bumper where the deep rust has accumulated along the lower rim with some under the ends. There are no dents or deep scrapes so my thought was just to smooth it out the treat and spray. Maybe I'll just emery and wire wool the surface and place a thin coating of grease all over the area. After having the rear all done properly, I don't relish the idea of removing everything at the front and paying a couple of thou for something that won't improve the appearance that much. John

WTL

Quote from: fishnjim on May 07, 2019, 03:52:57 PM
You can do what every other owner has done but swears they'd never do or did and get a rattle can of "chrome" paint and spray out the rust spots - down under.   'Aluminum" paint also.

I don't want any snickering or judgment for disclosing this. 

My driver Fleetwood had a deep push in dent front and center.  Like somebody hit reinforced rebar. 

I filled it with bondo, sanded it flat, primed it, sprayed adhesive on that and applied a round edged piece of chrome Mylar film on it. 

It doesn't look good.  But it gives a better glance presentation than before.  Nobody has ever remarked on it in 3 years.  I took a big booboo and made it a medium one.

I also took silver leaf to a balding spot on the hood lip.  It also is an improvement that is directly proportionate to the cost.  Maybe 20 bucks. 

These dark arts I don't recommend.  But on the ghetto scale, I'm still very low.  My car is on the road.  It's stance is correct.  It's body is straight.  It doesn't miss.  It looks cool, without making somebody think I had 20k to blow.

fishnjim

Never thought about that, but they make the wrap stuff in a chrome finish and it contours, so that might be an option - down under.   Have no idea how the cost stacks up but the faux stuff is cheap.   They make faux mirror stainless also.  eg: https://www.ezfauxdecor.com/peel-and-stick-stainless-steel-film/    I used some small faux brushed stainless on the '58 to cover the "c" pillar holes were the emblem was missing.   Seems like PO liked it smooth and painted instead of factory SS.   I was going to cover it, but on inspection, panel was there, removed the paint, and brushed it back to original.   They roughed it up so the paint would stick???  I got replacement panels w/ emblems, but once you get into that under window trim rust, it's not a simple change out.    I'm not ready for that yet.
My back bumper has some PO silver spray paint on the "rust" pits.   I got original, used, and refinished mixed and matched.  Suits me, didn't cost a fortune.   I still need two good pieces to finish it off.   I'm all out of round tuits.   
You might be surprise, if the chrome layer isn't gone, you might be able to clean it up to where it looks good again.   Steel wool and some chrome cleaner.  We used to use wadded up aluminum foil also.   The rust "oozes" out over the surface, and once it's gone you can hardly notice.

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Ark's issue with chrome in some spots is pitting, that's trying to turn to rust.
Temporary solution is to use 0000 steel wool sprayed generously with WD40, rubbed into the pitted/rusty areas.
Let it still for a bit.
Towel off, then follow up with Blue Magic.
Looks amazing.
YMMV

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

mario

Laurie:
Diet coke and rubbed into the rust pits with aluminum foil. Just did it to my 56 gmc. Took out the rusty tinge, then polished with chrome wax. Also ran it around my chromed wheels and made them beeutiful. ..
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: mario on May 09, 2019, 09:13:42 PM
Laurie:
Diet coke and rubbed into the rust pits with aluminum foil. Just did it to my 56 gmc. Took out the rusty tinge, then polished with chrome wax. Also ran it around my chromed wheels and made them beeutiful. ..
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

Diet coke? eegads! I hate to ask what you mix with rum...  :-*

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

mario

2 ounces light rum, 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice, 1 ounce simple syrup,1 cup ice2-3 strawberries. Whip it up in a blender and sit back and cool down.
What else is diet coke good for???
Ciao,
Mario Caimotto

Flyer

Used coke products to clean the windscreen of our planes on Guam, amazing how well it cleaned the bugs with just a little scrubbing. Hugh Dean