News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Ticking noise coming from rear of interior help

Started by jims427400, May 07, 2019, 10:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims427400

I've recently done some repairs to my 67 DeVille convertible.
water pump
fuel pump
ps pump
belts
brakes rebuilt
Now when I start the car I hear a ticking sound that gets faster and louder as you give it gas (in nuetral btw) and it sounds like it's coming from behind the back seat area. Anyone have a similar problem? I've thought of the speaker but the radio is off.

Scot Minesinger

My understanding is that is due to the thin metal used in the body under the convertible top well.  It will go away with top down.  I do not drive the car much with top up so been meaning to getting around to fixing it.  Probably bracing it and maybe adding another body to frame bushing or so on the cross member above axle.  This is said to be a problem in the 1967 - 1970 Cadillac DVC.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Gary McKinney

My 1966 Eldorado has had that ticking noise as long as I've owned the car (25 years!), and I've never figured out what causes it. 
Gary McKinney

1950 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1966 Cadillac Eldorado

jims427400

Does anyone have pics of this thin metal piece under top? It's odd because I've never heard it before until this spring after my recent repairs..

Scot Minesinger

I just found out about it this year and it makes sense because the top down position it goes away, or reduces a lot.  It is the sheet metal above the frame cross member above rear axle.  I have a bunch of projects now and cannot snap a picture of it anytime in the next week or two.  When I make my repair I will post what I did (only will do it if it cures the issue).  This often is perceived as the torsion spring in trunk rattling, brake line loose, fuel line loose, e-brake cable loose, exhaust contacting frame and the like.  But it is purported to be weak body sheet metal and given the wide spread uniform complaints, that seems right.   

jims427400

Thanks Scot,
Might jack it up this weekend and see if I can see what your suggesting.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I really "hurt" for you guys lucky enough to have a convertible. Poor baby... 

(It is an interesting "problem" though.) Good luck on any fixes.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Scot Minesinger

Barry,

Not complaining, just always improving what is already great - otherwise we are siting still.  This noise only happens on top up drives, which are very rare, and the radio takes care of it to a large extent with top up.  It has been with me now since 2005, so not super urgent obviously, but just found out how to fix it.

jims427400

Scot,
If I may ask, how did you find out about the cause of our ticking problem after all these years?
Jim

Barry M Wheeler #2189

As purely a "thinking man's exercise," it might be nice to know if the Buick Electra 225 and the Olds 98 of the same model years have the same tick.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Scot Minesinger

Barry,

I worked on a 1969 Olds 98, and it is night and day compared to a Cadillac.  The suspension, frame, body and everything are different.  I was surprised. 

jims427400

So is it possible that the speaker in the middle of the seats be making ticking sound even if radio is turned off. I'm thinking about disconnecting speaker for the hell of it.

35-709

;D  What he is saying is the sound from the radio playing overcomes the ticking noise, not that the speaker itself is making the noise.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2