News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Sealing the rear window molding clips - 1955 CDV

Started by craig-o, May 08, 2019, 06:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craig-o

Anyone know of a source for the putty that was used extensively anywhere water intrusion might have been an issue with original fasteners on the body and inside the doors?  Specifically, there was some gray putty that sealed around the rear window moulding clips where the clips came through the body.  It looks like the same material that is around the bolt heads on the window regulator and window motor mounting bolts. 

After 60+ years, that stuff was still pliable, but when I removed the molding for paint, I gobbed all of that stuff up from the molding clips and threw it away.  Now I need some to keep water from coming inside.  I thought of plumber's putty, but that stuff tends to harden over less than 5 years in fairly controlled indoor temps; I can only image what it would do in an automotive environment...

Ideas or sources anyone?
Craig Rodenberger
San Jose, CA
1955 Coupé deVille
1955 Jaguar XK140 OTS

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

There is a black colored caulk that is sold for this
purpose.  It's used in auto applications and is sold
as "3M Brand Strip Caulk".  It stays pliable forever
and seals out water and dust.

Any good auto parts store should have this.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

craig-o

Thanks, Mike!  This looks like exactly what I am looking for.
Craig Rodenberger
San Jose, CA
1955 Coupé deVille
1955 Jaguar XK140 OTS