News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Windshield Washer Problem-Help needed

Started by johnregrus, May 10, 2019, 10:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnregrus

I need some advice.

My 56 Cadillac is on its way to the Grand Nationals and the only thing I can't seem to fix is the windshield washers. It will not spray washer fluid onto the windshield.
I see air bubbles in the washer jar when I press the washer button on the dash. The washer jar and lid is new old stock and has never been installed on a car.

What do you think could be wrong?  Thanks for any help you could provide.
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

J. Gomez

Quote from: johnregrus on May 10, 2019, 10:42:58 AM
I need some advice.

My 56 Cadillac is on its way to the Grand Nationals and the only thing I can't seem to fix is the windshield washers. It will not spray washer fluid onto the windshield.
I see air bubbles in the washer jar when I press the washer button on the dash. The washer jar and lid is new old stock and has never been installed on a car.

What do you think could be wrong?  Thanks for any help you could provide.

John,

Is the fluid line or the nozzles block?  If you disconnect the fluid supply line from the pump, do you see fluid squirting out from the pump?

The pump itself has a very low pressure so a blockage on either it or the line could revert the fluid back into the bottle.   ;)

Good luck..! 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

I bet that it's the vacuum seal which is not sealing properly in the large cylinder (see the arrow). Remove the plunger and have a look at this rubber seal. Maybe with massage and silicone past you can make it good again.
The washer system on the picture is not exactly what you have: this is a Continental Mark II washer, similar to the 1955 Cadillac system. The vacuum part is identical to yours.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

carguyblack

Roger,
Weren't you the one that also suggested years ago that the vacuum junction (on the firewall)  diaphragm gasket might be another source of failure in these systems? Maybe John's visual symptoms are different than mine were.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Roger Zimmermann

Yes, it was me. However, if the vacuum manifold is not functioning properly, it does not deter the windshield washer.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101