News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Am I overthinking Cadillac Kings bad attitude?

Started by Crimtide, May 15, 2019, 01:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimtide

Looking for a part and have been calling every salvage yard within 1500 miles.. called dealers, everyone points me to cadillac kings.  Called them, they say they have the part, but then tell me they go to their yard once a week and pick the parts so he doesn't know if he has it or not.  Then he tells me it is $150 for a part that GM used to MSRP $6 up until a few years ago.  I asked him why it's so high, and he didn't answer, wouldn't answer other than saying because he has to send someone out to pick the part.  I told him I don't mind paying that if I have to, but I have seen listings on eBay and other sites for $50-70 and I could just wait for those to pop back up again.  He goes off on a limb about how ignorant it would be for me to order ANY parts from eBay.   I tried again to tell him I would gladly pay the fee if the part is in good shape, and he can pick my color if they have one so I don't have to get it painted to match, but said I would buy the off-color too if I had to.  He legit laughed at me, said he won't do that, can't tell me the color and I will have to wait til my shipment comes in to get the color.  After all the people that pointed me towards these guys, I don't see how it is possible to do business with someone like that unless you are only looking for chrome or glass.

Am I overthinking it?  Should I just bite the bullet and order the part?

sorry.. rant over.. I am just beyond frustrated not being able to find this part.
1992 Cadillac Fleetwood Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just for “fun” try A&A auto in Brentwood CA. Some yards fulfill the description of an Independent  business and the again you might have caught the person at a bad time on a bad day. Realistically you are going to find some parts expensive. Once they are no longer available it becomes the law of supply and demand.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Cadillac Fleetwood

I don't have any connection with that business, but I seem to recall that they are located in the greater Los Angeles area, where land is extremely expensive.  So it would be understandable that their parts cars would be stored off-site in a different location, requiring them to make periodic "parts runs".  I grew up in retail; the customer was king, and rudeness and discourtesy were simply not tolerated.

One of the challenges of driving our older cars is the difficulty in getting parts that GM/Cadillac has discontinued.  I drive my 1989 Fleetwood, for the most part, daily. Unfortunately, the only sources for these discontinued parts are salvage yards, specialty businesses such as Cadillac King, or eBay. In addition, the GM catalogue or list price of a part at some time in the past is virtually meaningless now.  Price is going to be controlled by supply and demand; the fact that you tried every source within 1500 miles and turned up empty-hand, is some indication.

We all would like the luxury of getting a replacement part in the color of our choice, but hey, getting one of a different color, and buying an aerosol can of paint, would make me just as happy; finding the part is the most important.  I have sent you a PM.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

76eldo

In my opinion the person that you spoke to was an ignorant and arrogant idiot.
That’s no way to speak to someone that is looking to spend money with you.

If you can wait it out, I would buy elsewhere.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Crimtide

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on May 15, 2019, 02:18:10 PM
I don't have any connection with that business, but I seem to recall that they are located in the greater Los Angeles area, where land is extremely expensive.  So it would be understandable that their parts cars would be stored off-site in a different location, requiring them to make periodic "parts runs".  I grew up in retail; the customer was king, and rudeness and discourtesy were simply not tolerated.

One of the challenges of driving our older cars is the difficulty in getting parts that GM/Cadillac has discontinued.  I drive my 1989 Fleetwood, for the most part, daily. Unfortunately, the only sources for these discontinued parts are salvage yards, specialty businesses such as Cadillac King, or eBay. In addition, the GM catalogue or list price of a part at some time in the past is virtually meaningless now.  Price is going to be controlled by supply and demand; the fact that you tried every source within 1500 miles and turned up empty-hand, is some indication.

We all would like the luxury of getting a replacement part in the color of our choice, but hey, getting one of a different color, and buying an aerosol can of paint, would make me just as happy; finding the part is the most important.  I have sent you a PM.

-Charles Fares
Thanks, been real busy the 2nd half of the day, just sent you an e-mail.

Crimtide

Quote from: 76eldo on May 15, 2019, 02:18:59 PM
In my opinion the person that you spoke to was an ignorant and arrogant idiot.
That’s no way to speak to someone that is looking to spend money with you.

If you can wait it out, I would buy elsewhere.

Brian
This is what I am thinking.  Regardless if I have written you a check or not yet, you should be in the business of earning more business, not pushing a potential new customer away because you are too good for eBay.  Sure I am just one person, looking for one part, but this could have been a long term partnership if I decide to keep doing what I am doing now.  Which so far, the fever has been caught, it's just a matter of making more money at this point, to buy more toys to park in the garage.

cadillacmike68

The subject vendor (cadillac king) is my vendor of last resort, and I do mean LAST RESORT. The car would have to NOT driveable with NO HOPE of finding the needed part anywhere else.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Crimtide on May 15, 2019, 01:24:57 PM
... a part that GM used to MSRP $6 up until a few years ago. 

Exactly what would that $6 part be?

If it's those lower body moldings you're looking for, that's impossible.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Crimtide

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on May 15, 2019, 03:58:04 PM
Exactly what would that $6 part be?

If it's those lower body moldings you're looking for, that's impossible.
Nope I've moved past that, that's going to be a much more expensive project later on.  I am looking for the plastic monitor housing.  Which I think I have found some now.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Crimtide on May 15, 2019, 04:03:15 PM
Nope I've moved past that, that's going to be a much more expensive project later on.  I am looking for the plastic monitor housing.  Which I think I have found some now.

In that case I agree $150 is absurd. Could buy an entire '92 parts car for little more!
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

quadfins

I concur with what CadillacMike reports.

I can provide details through PM, if you like.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

David Greenburg

I also concur with CadillacMike. They are a vendor of last resort, and seem to know it; you wouldn’t be calling if is were easy to find elsewhere, and things are priced accordingly. OTH. on the rare occasions when I have had to purchase unobtanium from them, I have received what was expected.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Crimtide on May 15, 2019, 01:24:57 PM
Looking for a part and have been calling every salvage yard within 1500 miles.. called dealers, everyone points me to cadillac kings.  Called them, they say they have the part, but then tell me they go to their yard once a week and pick the parts so he doesn't know if he has it or not.  Then he tells me it is $150 for a part that GM used to MSRP $6 up until a few years ago.  I asked him why it's so high, and he didn't answer, wouldn't answer other than saying because he has to send someone out to pick the part.  I told him I don't mind paying that if I have to, but I have seen listings on eBay and other sites for $50-70 and I could just wait for those to pop back up again.  He goes off on a limb about how ignorant it would be for me to order ANY parts from eBay.   I tried again to tell him I would gladly pay the fee if the part is in good shape, and he can pick my color if they have one so I don't have to get it painted to match, but said I would buy the off-color too if I had to.  He legit laughed at me, said he won't do that, can't tell me the color and I will have to wait til my shipment comes in to get the color.  After all the people that pointed me towards these guys, I don't see how it is possible to do business with someone like that unless you are only looking for chrome or glass.

Am I overthinking it?  Should I just bite the bullet and order the part?

sorry.. rant over.. I am just beyond frustrated not being able to find this part.
On this Message Forum, we have a policy of not denigrating anyone, be it supplier or purchaser, and when this happens, the post is deleted.

•   No disparaging remarks or personal attacks against fellow forum members, club members, club directors & officers, forum moderators, or any business will be tolerated.  Discussion threads containing such remarks will be removed, and may result in the loss of the poster's privilege to post on the CLC Message Board.

This post is on the edge of overstepping the mark.

If I was selling parts, and someone questioned why the price of my part was so high, I too would become a tad uncooperative, especially when I was being told that the part used to be cheap, and were sometimes available on eBay, inferring that I shouldn't ask so much, plus how to run my own business.

I suppose you were lucky that the person on the end of the phone didn't simply hang up.

As has been stated, the car parts business is a case of supply and demand, especially for parts that are discontinued buy the manufacturers, and nobody in the restoration business is tooling up to recreate the part.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

You asked if you are overthinking it, and yes probably so.  I have enjoyed buying parts from Cadillac King.  To run a business in an expensive area, they have a significant minimum fee for going out in the yard and removing a part.  It is usually not a quick task to remove a part.  The man started the price and you started the talk of getting him to lower the price "why so high?".   I run a small business and when I get that line, I'm polite, but it is not always easy.

When Cadillac King or any other parts place quotes a price, I make a decision one way or the other without trying to get them to lower it.  This may be going to other supply houses or whatever. 

The main thing with parts places is the quality of the part, the price and the quality of the service.  You were not short changed, he was just not polite when you objected to the price he quoted.  Trashing this vendor for that reason is not fair.  I have suffered bad quality parts, bad service and high prices, but have never failed to get along with anyone at these parts places.  And when the part or service was bad, it was usually remedied to my satisfaction.

I am always happy to do business with Cadillac King even though I'm in Virginia.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

EAM 17806

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on May 16, 2019, 12:49:36 AM
You asked if you are overthinking it, and yes probably so.  I have enjoyed buying parts from Cadillac King.  To run a business in an expensive area, they have a significant minimum fee for going out in the yard and removing a part.  It is usually not a quick task to remove a part.  The man started the price and you started the talk of getting him to lower the price "why so high?".   I run a small business and when I get that line, I'm polite, but it is not always easy.

When Cadillac King or any other parts place quotes a price, I make a decision one way or the other without trying to get them to lower it.  This may be going to other supply houses or whatever. 

The main thing with parts places is the quality of the part, the price and the quality of the service.  You were not short changed, he was just not polite when you objected to the price he quoted.  Trashing this vendor for that reason is not fair.  I have suffered bad quality parts, bad service and high prices, but have never failed to get along with anyone at these parts places.  And when the part or service was bad, it was usually remedied to my satisfaction.

I am always happy to do business with Cadillac King even though I'm in Virginia.
The result of all this is to keep away from Cadillac King  because of their high prices (regardless of why) and their inappropriate attitude.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

For those that might be curious check your map app at the intersection of Pearblossom Hwy and 125
St as in Pearblossom CA. I believe this is one of CKs yards
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Crimtide

What I am gathering from all of the input here is that Cadillac Kings should be used as a last resort when you have exhausted all other options.  Which is odd to me because many people had suggested them first. 

Thankfully, several members here have reached out to me in PMs or E-mail.  I have found a few of the parts I need.  Just hanging in there for a bit longer to see if I can find a color matching one before anything else. 

Thanks to everyone providing feedback and offering help in my quest.

Art Director

There are several parts vendors that regularly support the CLC through advertising in The Self-Starter, the Directory, and online. Please use them as a “vendor of first resort” when shopping for parts.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

59-in-pieces

Don't you just love a good dog pile.
In my view, having read all the posts, the comments were no where near the edge in that the person or the Co were characterized as crooks - JUST Pricey - describing an attitude is not being denigrating - it's a bit like "when you got, it font it" and "play hard to get, and drive the price up".
Now who of us hasn't been there before - as old as the Caz-bah.

At the end of the day, those of us who are long of tooth know this Co. and their MO and deal with it if we must and really need something - swallow hard and move on - or wait.

By the way, OP's should at least identify generally where they are in the world - why because if you google earth the yard(s) you can see the magnitude of cars and the logistics involved in identifying a car, let alone a part on that car.

I, like others who have posted, would consider this source of parts as close to a last resort, and not for the thin skinned - oh! and I live not so far from these folks, and a bit further from their yards.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

carguyblack

I looked all over creation for what I thought would be an easy little part to find after mine was lost at the chrome shop I sent it to. I ended up calling this vendor after striking out and agreed to pay 5 times what I thought the little thing should have cost, based on what folks in the club told me it should be. What irked me was their attitude that I needed them, not they in any way appreciated me. Nor were they open to clarification on the car model I needed it for as "they were in the business and sell hundreds of part like these all over the world." Well, they sent me the wrong part anyway after refusing to send me a picture of the part before they sent it so I could verify it was the right one. Interestingly, they made me send pictures back so they could correct their mistake. I had to send the part back (my expense, on top of it all) so they could correct their mistake after they were too cocky or proud to admit that maybe they could use a little clarification along the way. The part they sent was for a 4 door, not a 4 door hardtop( no post) 62 series as I was very specific about. Never really an apology was made.  Oh well, so much for being the expert....
I did finally get the right part but can't say I had any fun along the way. This in contrast to just about all the other purchases I've made from others since 1997 from the like of Arnold, Eddie Jones and numerous others who were simply a pleasure to buy from.
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE