News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 Deville: Aligning Indicator with Correct Gear

Started by 69Deville, May 19, 2019, 01:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Deville

Hello all,

When cycling through my gears, the indicator does not line up with the selected gear (P-R-N-Drive-L). Any suggestions on how to align this?

Thanks,
Dave
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
1966 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham-sold :(

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

The pointer is connected to a screw on the outside of the column. It may have been bent knocking it out of allignment.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

69Deville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I am sure somebody will give you more detailed info. But I remember seeing it when I put a new radio in. Lower dash panel off. Look for the part of the column that turns with the gearshift. There was a metal rod attached there that moved the pointer. I remember this because I used it for a temporary ground when I was testing the radio. This is just from memory and sorry I am  not more specific.

With that being said, I am  not sure how that would just get out of alignment unless the screw got loose somehow. Before you go with the adjusting the pointer route, I would suggest you look at the entire linkage from the column to the trans itself and check for looseness/slop.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

69Deville

Hello all,

So I found the screw and the indicator wire and it had slipped down a bit. I repositioned it and tightened it down and it aligned perfectly. I am now going to sand it and paint it as about half of the white paint is gone.

To access the screw, you need to remove the lower dash panel and the screw will be on the column on the passenger side.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Dan LeBlanc

I may be too late to join the conversation, but don't just paint it with regular white paint.  You need a white fluorescent paint so it will glow at night like the speedometer needle.

It's commonly available online.  A $2.50 tiny little tube with brush will be more than you need.

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

69Deville

Thanks Dan.

I used a semi gloss white I had at home. I'll check it out at night to see how it looks and repaint if need be. I haven't put it back together so a repaint will be easy.

Thanks for the tip!