News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What are these pieces for on my '70 Fleetwood?

Started by J.C., May 20, 2019, 01:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.C.

Hi, All!

I noticed these rusting pieces near my windshield around my windshield wipers; does anyone know what these pieces are called and what they're for?  Does anyone know where I could find that screen mesh?  I circled all the rusting pieces in red in the attached pictures...  All input appreciated!  Thanks!

J.C.
Coral Gables, FL
2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

Robert LeCoque - #1283

The two strap like pieces are grounding contacts for the hood.  They ground the hood to the body.  The screen is the air intake for the Heating and A/C System.
R LeCoque

cadillacmike68

The hood is grounded to the body by the huge steel hinges.

I think they are supposed to hold your windshield washer lines in place - preventing them from getting all out of place.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

chrisntam

Paint the mesh, no one will be the wiser.  Perhaps some steel wool or scotch brite to clean off the rust first.

I'd heard those straps were for grounding something, perhaps w/ the radio.  I'll peruse the shop manual to see if it provides a tie breaker.

I agree the hood would be grounded via the hinges.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

John I have yet to find out what those hooks are for...
And that screen DOES NOT EXIST, be incredibly careful with it.
It will be very, very brittle.
I restored The Ark's cowl last year. Not hard but you have to be hideously
careful with that screen since it DOES NOT EXIST. Loosen the screws on the chrome trim
and the hookie thingies the wipers sit on. EVER - SO - GENTLY wiggle the screen from under
the trim and its also under the weatherstripping. Carry like a new born baby to your work area,
GENTLY remove any debris that won't dust off easily, warm soap and water for hard to remove
debris, let dry. Gently hang from somewhere and spray with semi gloss black paint. Now is your
chance to vacuum or blow out the cowl and repaint, semi gloss black. On that chrome, 0000 steel
wool and WD40 to remove any rust or stains. Let it sit for a bit then wipe clean. Polish with Blue Magic.
EVER SO GENTLY replace the screen, take your time, its very brittle and it DOES NOT EXIST.
You can replace all of those screws with these, don't laugh, they're a perfect fit and match/look great.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-8-x-1-2-in-Truss-Head-Phillips-Drive-Lath-Self-Drilling-Screw-1-lb-Box-270-Pack-116077/205142958?keyword=sku+295+543&semanticToken=22200100011_520782120082272_wlnx+22200100011+%3E++st%3A%7Bsku+295+543%7D%3Ast+sc%3A%7B295+543%7D%3Asc+cnn%3A%7B0%3A0%7D+cnr%3A%7B8%3A0%7D+cn1%3A%7B5%3A0%7D+f%3A%7Bb%7D+cnv%3A%7B1%3A1%7D+oos%3A%7B0%3A1%7D+rt%3A%7B295+543%7D%3Art+dln%3A%7B562938%7D+qu%3A%7Bsku+295+543%7D%3Aqu

After you've replaced the screen and the screws, pull the weather stripping back a bit and put a thin bead of DAP clear latex window caulking, this sort of glues the screen and weather strip back together and gives you a nice seal. Can't stress vacuuming or blowing out this whole area enough before paint/re-assembly.

Here's some pics of when I did The Ark's cowl. Take your time, be careful with that screen, it DOES NOT EXIST.

\m/
Laurie

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Flyer

This wire mesh may still be available. I checked Amazon and they have a sheet 12" X 24" #10 mesh stainless steel for about $25. It would have to be cut to fit using the old mesh as a pattern and then painted. If #10 is the wrong size mesh other sizes are available. Laurie- great description as to what needs doing to fix he cowl, thanks. Hugh Dean

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Little Jeff tip for when you are working on that area. Those grounding straps are sharp and can slice you so be aware.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Flyer on May 21, 2019, 08:32:13 AM
Laurie- great description as to what needs doing to fix he cowl, thanks. Hugh Dean

Thanks Hugh, a chance for me to give back to a forum that has given me so much.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cadillac Fleetwood

My '70 Fleetwood Brougham does not have those metal pieces. It only had one owner before me.  I seem to recall that they furnished a ground for the windshield antenna.  I also seem to recall that in Cadillac literature (the Cadillac Serviceman, perhaps) that these were discontinued during the '70 model year, as being no longer necessary.  My Fleetwood was built during the third week of March (03C) and is body number 13418.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

J.C.

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on May 20, 2019, 11:09:50 PM
Take your time, be careful with that screen...
\m/
Laurie
Thanks, Laurie and Hugh for the info!  I'll see what I can do with that part before the GN!  Again, much appreciated!
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

J.C.

Quote from: Flyer on May 21, 2019, 08:32:13 AM
This wire mesh may still be available. I checked Amazon and they have a sheet 12" X 24" #10 mesh stainless steel for about $25. It would have to be cut to fit using the old mesh as a pattern and then painted.

The mesh Hugh mentioned is only 24" long, but the length along the windshield is probably closer to 5' or 6' (I'm not with my car right now, so I can't measure).  How would I attach the 24" pieces together so I'd have one continuous piece from one side of the firewall to the other?

J.C.
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: J.C. on May 25, 2019, 01:26:12 PM
The mesh Hugh mentioned is only 24" long, but the length along the windshield is probably closer to 5' or 6' (I'm not with my car right now, so I can't measure).  How would I attach the 24" pieces together so I'd have one continuous piece from one side of the firewall to the other?

J.C.

You don't. Its why you have to be SO CAREFUL with what you have. Be gentle, take your time, don't force it, wiggle gently. You'll be fine. Just remember the mesh is very brittle, be gentle. See my pics?

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

chrisntam

Several people are correct here, here is the page from the Cadillac Serviceman that speak to the pieces in question.

We have some very sharp and knowledgeable folks here!!!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

Nice to read that they included a reason to omit the pieces, without simply saying that they are no longer required.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Daryl Chesterman

Hi John,

This is a possible source for stainless steel screen, if that is what you want.  You will have to determine what mesh you have, and match it in this website.

https://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-material/stainless-steel

A website that tells how to determine the mesh size of your screen.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/determine-mesh-size-window-screen-25184.html

Daryl Chesterman