News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Radiator brace / support rods: source?

Started by John Barry [CLC17027], May 22, 2019, 09:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Barry [CLC17027]

Yeah, I'm back again--and thanks to all who helped with the radiator hose question. Here's another radiator-related question...

My '40 lacks the radiator support rods / radiator brace that's standard on cars of that vintage.  See the attached picture, which shows what I mean using another '40 La Salle as a specimen.

Jeff Hansen offered kindly to verify the correct terminology (thanks!), so that leaves me wondering where one might by this hardware. Suggestions?
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

DaveZ

Series 50 or 52? If 52 I may have a pair if I can find them.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

John Barry [CLC17027]

Series 50. (I've heard plenty of stories about how body items for a series 50 don't fit a series 52 and vice versa.)

Now I'll complicate things further: I have no idea how they get mounted since I (apparently) don't have brackets on either the firewall or the radiator. And what exactly are they called, please? Thanks!
John Barry (CLC 17027)

DaveZ

John,
  I will take a pic of the 52 and show you how they mount. meanwhile on the firewall there are two holes about 2 inches apart where a plate mounts that the rods attach to and two on the cross bar above the rad. Do you have the holes in that area?
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

John Barry [CLC17027]

I don't think so, although the pic will show me specifically where to look. By the way, I've been given to understand that (reasons unknown) LaSalle phased out these rods at some point in the 1940 model year. Since my '40 came off the assembly line in April 1940, it's not impossible that mine was a post-phaseout version that never had them in the first place. (Jeff Hansen kindly educated me on that bit of intelligence late yesterday.)
John Barry (CLC 17027)

oregonjam

Difficult to find but easy to make. The later models are very simple. Standard dimension steel rod and use a torch with a black smith hammer to flatten, center the tab and shape the end to be the same as factory. file smooth, cut to length and thread to the proper depth. If someone has an image to use for dimensions and proportions it was very easy to do. I made them for a 59/60. Not sure if they are the same, if so I can share dimensions if you don't find a pair.

Cheers,
John
Cheers,
John Miller

1960 Series 62 Coupe
1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88
1968 Camaro SS
1968 C10 SWB Pickup
1976 Bronco Sport

DaveZ

Here's what they look like on the 52.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

John Barry [CLC17027]

Aha. Interestingly, there appear to be two hex head cap screws at what look like the correct firewall locations, but no brackets. There is, however, a depression between the cap screws in both locations. On the front, the bolts that hold the hood latch in place seem to be in the correct location for the radiator end of these rods. I'm starting to wonder if mine had the rods at one point and they were removed...let me see about some pictures to illustrate what I mean.
John Barry (CLC 17027)

DaveZ

Yes there are depressions in the firewall:-)  Looks like you may have had them unless the just stopped putting them on and puts bolts in.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

DaveZ

Oh and John we are going to try and make it to the Peddlers Village so if you are there we may see you.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

Jamurray

The factory installed them on some '40-50 series, but not on others. My thinking is later 50s didn't get them.

Jack Murray

z3skybolt

My 40 LaSalle 5227 has them. I have seem several at car shows which did not have them. Sometimes the owners didn't even know they were "supposed" to be there. Perhaps they were not as expressed above. April is pretty late in the model year.  I would not worry about them.

bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

carlhungness

My 37 Coupe was missing the rods and just as I was ordering material John Gately called and said he found a perfect pair. They have left and right hand threads and making the ends is a job for a craftsman used to heating and bashing metal. Personally I'd try to find a pair rather than fabricating them if you want a very stock look. But it sounds as though your model may not have had them at all, so I'd say you're lucky. The top radiator hoses hold the radiator in place very well so the factory probably decided they weren't necessary.