News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1949 dual points dissy (dyna-flyte)

Started by Thomas Bredahl, May 25, 2019, 07:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas Bredahl

I have one of these Dyna Flyte distributor plates in my car and was wondering if anyone could supply me with a setup instruction for these?
It’s the 880 model
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Jay Friedman

I know you'll need a higher capacity condenser.  (Contact John Washburn at john.washburn@att.net for details of the type of condenser needed.)  There is no room for the condenser inside the distributor with 2 sets of contact points, so you will have to mount it on one of the screws outside and connect its wire to the same terminal as the input wire.  I have somewhere in my garage the required point gap settings for a dual point distributor, but will have to look for it and get back to you later.  On the other hand, John Washburn could help you with that too.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Thomas Bredahl

Thank you for your input Jay
This setup has been in ude before on my 6207 but with a freshly rebuilt engine, I need to take extra care that it is set up right
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

TJ Hopland

Can you still get the points for those?    Is that one of the setups that uses the stock cam?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jay Friedman

Thomas, I found a photocopy of an instruction sheet for the Dyna Flyte distributor plate, 880 model.  Send me your postal mailing address by email at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com and I'll send it to you.  Jay
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

TonyZappone #2624

After being left on the road from closed up points several times over the last 55 years of my antique car capers, I have one ignition directive:  Can you say PERTONIX?  Now have it in 47 Cad, 58 Cad, 36 Pierce-Arrow.  Lightning fast starts, quicker acceleration, good feeling of security
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Thomas Bredahl

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on May 26, 2019, 06:54:40 AM
After being left on the road from closed up points several times over the last 55 years of my antique car capers, I have one ignition directive:  Can you say PERTONIX?  Now have it in 47 Cad, 58 Cad, 36 Pierce-Arrow.  Lightning fast starts, quicker acceleration, good feeling of security

I know what you mean but respectfully disagree  :)
While electronic ignitions do the very things you mention they can also die as quick, leaving you stranded just the same.
I have run both and allways find myself returning to the points, with which I can limp home if needed, even on a set of burnt points.
On the cars/motorcycles I have run with pertronix or the like, I have had my points in the toolbox, just in case
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Thomas Bredahl

Quote from: Jay Friedman on May 25, 2019, 02:44:48 PM
Thomas, I found a photocopy of an instruction sheet for the Dyna Flyte distributor plate, 880 model.  Send me your postal mailing address by email at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com and I'll send it to you.  Jay

Thank you very much Jay but I got the same in a jpg on the other and older thread.
Appreciate the offer but this saves you the posting it.

Love this knowledgable forum  :)
Thomas
Copenhagen - Denmark

Jay Friedman

Tony, I have to say I agree with Thomas.  The motor may run a bit better with Pertronix ignition, but I have heard that the system can fail without warning and that it is advisable, as T. said, to keep a spare point-equipped distributor in the vehicle just in case.  Most importantly, points let you know when they are wearing out without causing the motor to stop running.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

TonyZappone #2624

They never really wore out.  The rubbing block dried out, the points closed up, and failed.  I am not saying that you are wrong.  I would just rather gamble, to attain the great performance and reliability I have had so far.  Moreover, syncing those dual points in the Pierce was hard for anyone to do
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jay Friedman

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on May 26, 2019, 02:58:39 PMMoreover, syncing those dual points in the Pierce was hard for anyone to do

Tony, I agree with you re: dual points.  I tried them using a Dyna-Flyte (or Mallory, I can't remember) plate some years ago, but I didn't think the performance was much better.  As you wrote, Maybe a little bit, but not worth the effort of trying to set them up and get the  right dwell etc.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Caddy Wizard

Jay and I collaborate all the time and agree on many, many things.  But Pertronix vs. points is not one of them.  I was a mechanic for 10 years, I own a beat-up distributor machine that lets me set the dwell on a points distributor rather accurately, and I've done the dual-points thing a number of times.  But I don't run anything but Pertronix electronic ignition modules in my old cars.

The Pertronix modules are very reliable, but when they do fail it can be without warning.  They run better, start easier, and are maintenance-free.  If you do choose a Pertronix module, pay careful attention to the instructions.  They are very simple to install, but are sensitive to the wrong input voltage, solid core plug wires will damage them, and they can be damaged by leaving the ignition key on but not running.

I'll be driving to the GN in my 55 with Pertronix.  I installed it two years ago and haven't had to give it another thought since...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

TJ Hopland

With dual points basically what happens is one set handles the closing and the other the opening?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: TJ Hopland on May 28, 2019, 10:47:00 AM
With dual points basically what happens is one set handles the closing and the other the opening?

Probably -- if the points are set right, yes.  But not necessarily.  One set of the points might be gapped a fair bit wider than the other, and so would have shorter dwell.  In that instance, the wider-gapped set might carry none of the dwell (it might open sooner and close later). 

Recall that the "dwell" is the angle through which the points are CLOSED, during which time the coil is building up a charge.  Once the points open, the field in the coil suddenly collapses and the charge is sent down through the coil wire to the cap.  The Johnny can explain it better than me, but that is how I think of it...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

TJ Hopland

It seems like I remember reading possibly someones sales brochure for dual points saying that using dual with a stock cam doesn't really gain you anything but a lot more complexity but if you buy our system that includes a custom cam you then get the amazing performance gains. 

That sort of made sense to me.   The original cam being designed for conventional single points would be a compromise between the mechanical physics of the cam and follower and what they ideally wanted electrically.  Adding a second set of points to that isn't going to gain you much since you are stuck with that compromised cam profile.   If you are designing the cam knowing you don't have the same mechanical constraints that a single point system has I would think you could come up with a much more ideal electronic profile.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV