News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

If you ever need a tranny shop in upstate NY, go here!!!!

Started by papas52cad, May 25, 2019, 07:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papas52cad

I just want to give 5 thumbs up to a GREAT SHOP. Bob’s transmission services in Schenectady/ Rotterdam, NY
My 52 caddy (with a 1960 Jetaway) has been leaking tranny fluid since I bought it 2 years ago, everyone I questioned said just leave it And check the level and refill as needed. You don’t want to mess with a tranny!!
After asking members of my local CLC club here in upstate NY at our car show in Saratoga, a few suggested Bob’s. I called immediately, spoke to the owner,Jerome, and brought it to him this past Monday (took a week to get in his schedule). He called just as he said he would a few hours after I left,  giving me his assessment. It needed to come out and all the seals needed to be replaced. I was waiting to the proverbial  shoe to drop...hearing the fatal words..TRANNY MUST COME OUT!! His estimate was $600 labor plus parts. I could not believe my ears...so For me that was below my worst fear and expectations. On Wednesday, the cad was back in my hands. He did all I asked ++, took a bunch of photos for me while it was out. As I drove home I could tell it  Shifts even better and in 3 days since back in garage, NO MORE LEAKS!, hallelujah!!! Final price...$650!
Great service, with a smile, fair price for his efforts ...and this guy knows transmissions!! It was worth the 60 mile trip. Trannys are all he does...I know many of you know how rare that is for a tranny this old!! At least that’s my finding here in my neck of the woods, Hudson Valley, NY!
I just want to share my experience and pass on for any who can take advantage should the need arise!!
Happy Memorial Day!!
1952 Fleetwood

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

papas52cad

Thanks Geoff
So glad I went...well worth the satisfaction of a job well done and certainly a fair price!!
Stay well
Peter
1952 Fleetwood

bcroe

Quote from: papas52cadThanks Geoff
So glad I went...well worth the satisfaction of a job well done and certainly a fair price!!   Stay well   Peter   

That is great, I have had shops make all kinds of errors, or say
they would not touch anything that old.  Solved that by doing it
myself.  I wonder how he deals with switch pitch transmissions? 

The internals of a trans need periodic refresh, I just assume the
outer leaks are part of the game.  The easy fixes and serious leaks
I repair, the rest are contained with a big drip pan.  Bruce Roe

papas52cad

He was more than confident, obviously he does this day in and day out for the past 25 years, he pulled tranny, opened it up, cleaned torque converter..replaced all o-rings and seals...see the old ones below plus other images...he said it was in very good shape and when he drove car, shifting as it should be.
The tranny had been worked on previously as seals he found were not factory original.
Have driven it 200 miles since work...no leaks! 😁
I can’t say enough good things!!
1952 Fleetwood

TonyZappone #2624

Missed the show at the Saratoga Museum for grandkid's graduation.  Having moved to Saratoga I am so happy to know we have a good transmission guy so close.  Thank you Peter.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle