Author Topic: 1967 Eldorado Steering Column Removal & Replacement Quesion  (Read 368 times)

Offline Varooom

• Name: Dan Orbeck
I have the shop manual and am going to remove my existing T&T column and replace with a rebuilt one I acquired.  The shop manual has very few diagrams relating to the text instructions on pulling the column.  The interior looks straightforward, the engine compartment part of the instructions are not very clear at all.  I can't sort out some of the parts it refers to without a diagram.

Also, how does the opening in the firewall get big enuff to pull the column thru with the gear selector adding 2" in width?

Does anyone have a source for good diagrams outside the manual?  Any help will be appreciated!

Offline The Tassie Devil(le)

• Administrator
  • CLC Number: 18992
  • Name: Bruce Reynolds
Re: 1967 Eldorado Steering Column Removal & Replacement Quesion
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 09:26:38 PM »
I have pulled out the steering column from a '68 CDV, which would be very similar to the '67 Eldorado, and there is sufficient room to extract the column.

There is a flange that attaches to the firewall and secures the base of the column.   Removing the plate via the 4 or 5 screws allows heaps of movement.

Just remember to remove the gear shift indicator needle before you loosen the column, as you don't want to bend or destroy it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Offline Varooom

• Name: Dan Orbeck
Re: 1967 Eldorado Steering Column Removal & Replacement Quesion
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 08:51:26 AM »
Thank you, Bruce.  I will start this job today and see what happens!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13