News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1931 Cadillac v8 distributor issue

Started by kkarrer, May 20, 2019, 10:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

Hey guys!  I have a 1932 All Weather Phaeton that I'm restoring.  I'm almost finished with it, but one of my club members has a 31 with what I think is a distributor/timing issue.  The distributors on the two cars are different and that's why I'm looking for some help.  As you all probably know the "shop manuals" for the pre-war cars are not too good.  What's happening with the the car is that it starts quickly and easily, but when we upshift to third gear and hit about 35-40 mph it starts to buck and miss.  It calms back down when we take our foot off the gas.  The distributor linkage is present, but not adjustable and taking the bolts out at the bottom of the distributor doesn't loosen it up much at all.  Since we had this problem before and after the carb rebuild (Classic and Exotic) and since we have an electric fuel pump installed in-line.  I'm pretty sure that this is a lack of timing advance issue.  Can anyone weigh in on this or provide a source for a drawing of the distributor? 
Thanks and hope to see you at GN,
Ken Karrer
CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.
1932 AWPhaeton

pmhowe

i"m no expert, and certainly not for your year car. However, when my old cars showed the symptoms yours show, I would check points first. If the problem persisted after cleaning and gapping the points, I would check (by replacing) the condenser. Then the coil.  On two occasions, cars showed the symptoms you describe and the coil was bad. They were hot to the touch. Must have been an internal short.

This may help, but others familiar with your car/model will probably have better advice.

Phil

kkarrer

Phil,
     Thanks.  The coil is not over heating.  I'll double check the point gap, but I'm pretty sure we have a distributor/timing problem as the distributor will not turn even with the bolts out.  I was hoping that it was just paint seize, but that's not the case.  I'll post when we get it solved.
Thanks again,
Ken

Jim Stamper

The distributer must be able to advance using the manual control or the engine just won't run right. I believe the 31 has the control on the dash. With the cap off and the control handle moved you should see the advance change. The distributer should probably come out and have all it solid crud cleaned out from all crevices so the shaft and point assembly plate and distributer itself can move easily when the handle is moved.
      I have hooked a timing light (12V) to a 12 volt battery and the other wire to the distributer as usual and watch what is happening when the timing adjustment is made and the light is on the flywheel looking at the timing marks on the flywheel through the viewing port.
      My experience is with an 27 LaSalle, I assume 31 had a similar provision.   Jim Stamper  CLC#13470

DaveZ

I'm 90% sure 31 had a manual advanced and weights. If there is crud the weights may not be advancing. Also they are dual point so they have to be synchronized to work right. Static using timing marks on flywheel after points are synced. There is a special tool and dial to sync the points, but you can probably make something up with a light bulb and homemade dial. Then advance it so it just starts to ping going up a steep hill. That's what pops always does:-)
Hope that helps.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

kkarrer

Guys,
    Thanks for the thoughtful replies.  Yes the distributor is advanced and retarded with a pull/cable set up somewhat like a lawn mower.  In 32 they moved that adjustment to the middle of the steering wheel.  Right now this one is pretty stuck and will only move a few degrees when tapped with a small hammer.  Interestingly, when the screws at the top of the tower, the distributor does not come out.  We'll keep lubricating and working it.  I may try some mild heat with some shields around it to help control the flame.  I'll keep you posted.  At worst, we'll just drive it to our spring luncheon (2 miles) this Saturday and really get after it after that.  Trying to get this one fixed before my 32 AWPhaeton comes out of the upholstery shop and I have to get back on that one.
Hope to see you at GN,
Ken Karrer
CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.

DaveZ

Hi Ken,
  When you get it back post some pics of the 32. Pretty sure we know that car. Hard to believe the distributor is that tight:-( 1932 had the throttle and lights on wheel center. Advance was just the weights.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

kkarrer

Guys,
     I'll have pictures of the '32 out soon.  The interior (leather) and top are just about done and I have only to paint the spare tire carriers and the paint will be finished.  I didn't mount the front fenders, bumpers, or hood prior to going to the upholstery shop in order to save room there and also to minimize accidental damage.  This car was two tone green (came out of the Houston area.  I started on her right after last year's GN when a guy bought my 61 Eldo. It's very well documented and a former AACA award winner, but was really showing wear and the interior was vinyl and the top had worn.)and is now painted like one of the cars in the artists renderings in an original 1932 sales brochure...viceroy maroon (lower), tokio ivory wheels and stripe, and a color that Cadillac would later call fontana rose for the upper.  Top is tan a leather interior is brown.  We won't quite make it to GN with the car this year, but I'll have pictures there.  Also, does anyone have a source for the little #6 T head screws that were used to fasten the stainless trim to the spare tire carrier and trunk carrier trim?  By the way, we removed the distributor on Larry's 31 sedan and we're sending out to Classic and Exotic.  Johan B. made a good suggestion there.
Thanks and see you in Louisville,
Ken Karrer
CenTex Reg. Dir.

DaveZ

Hi Ken,
That car came out of New York. My father was going to buy it in the 60's but had to go to work and when he went back someone had bought it:-(  We saw it again a few years ago Upstate when the gentleman who sold it to gentleman in TX still owned it.  Real nice car!
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

kkarrer

Dave,
     Thanks for the info.  Here's a picture of the car on the way to upholstery...
Ken