News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac brake lights

Started by Billharrison, May 27, 2019, 05:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billharrison

While driving my 1959 Series 62 this weekend I was told that my brake lights and turn signal lights were only working intermittently. Ive never had any electrical system issues with this car before so wondering if it could be a fuse , a wiring problem or something more complex.
1959 Cadillac Series 62 Flat Top
1964 Cadillac Eldorado
1966 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Possibly bad ground but could be a lot of things. I doubt fuse because either it's bad or it isn't.

Both pairs of taillights or just on one side?

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

I would not rule out the fuse.  They are cheap and easy.   Some of the older fuses used a sort of cement to hold it all together and after many years it gets loose so you could have a loose connection and corrosion going on.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dan LeBlanc

Possible corrosion in the bulb socket could be a culprit too.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Billharrison

1964 Cadillac Eldorado

savemy67

Hello Bill,

A couple of things come to mind.  Since it is both lights on both sides, I would look for something common in that circuit.  I am not sure if the '59 had an adjustable stop light switch.  If it does, the switch may be at the point where it may or may not function correctly given brake pedal travel.  These switches make contact with the brake pedal.

That said, a stop light switch would not affect the turn signals, so, back to something in common with the tail lamp wiring harness like a loose ground.  If the tail lamps are grounded through the body sheet metal, the sheet metal has to be grounded in such a way that the circuit can be completed through to the battery, so a possible loose ground may be no where near the tail lamps or tail lamp wiring.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Dan LeBlanc

If I recall correctly, the turn signals and brake lights are all fed through the turn signal switch in some way or another.

Remember having a 61 awhile ago that I had to jiggle the turn signal switch to get the brake light to come on at the driver's side.  That could be another starting point.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I had two '59s where the turn signal needed to be exercised a bit to get the LEFT brake/turn signal lamps to work. The rights always worked and all 4 parking lamps always worked. However this is different from the situation here since all 4 of the lamps are affected.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Billharrison

Thanks All, good suggestions. I appreciate the direction.
1964 Cadillac Eldorado

JayRudig390

I just had the exact same issue....turn signal switch wiring was the issue in my case.  The brake light circuit runs through the turn signal switch. 

Skwerly62

Quote from: JayRudig390 on May 28, 2019, 05:24:12 PM
I just had the exact same issue....turn signal switch wiring was the issue in my case.  The brake light circuit runs through the turn signal switch.
Agreed, I am rewriting
MY 60 right now and all taillight functions run through the turn signal switch in the column. (Except park aka running lights). I would say ground second.
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!