News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 signal lights

Started by Tom Boehm, May 27, 2019, 10:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Boehm

Inside the signal light switch on the steering column, there appears to be a socket for a light bulb and a red lens on top. The Master Parts Book says it should be a #51 bulb, the same as goes in the instrument panel lights and the clock lights. I tried a #51 bulb and the opening is a wider diameter than the bulb and no contact was made. Am I missing a part in there? There is a contact in the center on the bottom.  Thanks, Tom

DaveZ

Hi Tom,
Think you may be missing something.  I will take a picture of ours this week and send.
Dave
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

Tom Boehm

Thanks for your response Dave but I think I solved it. I tried again and pushed the bulb way down in there and it seated. That socket just does not hold the bulb as snug as say the taillights.

I am wiring all this temporary so I can drive the car to the Louisville GN. I got the stop lights to work. Now I have to figure out why the signal lights won't work. I have to go around with a multi meter to find where I am losing current.

How do you test the flasher?

DaveZ

Didn't have to it just worked:-) Power comes off the Gas Gauge battery terminal with barrel connector. Do any of them work?
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

DaveZ

The switch itself is a little finicky if it hasn't been used in a while. Dirty contacts could be the issue? See if you are getting power to the switch first. If you are then see if you are getting anything out of the after the switch. Then after the flasher. If the brake and parking lights work your grounds are good. Also see that whoever had it put the right bulbs in it:-)
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

Jamurray

Flashers fail. NAPA stocks 6 volt flashers. They are cheap. Buy a couple.

There's a special place in Hell for whoever approved the installation of the turn signal switch for 1940 Cads and LaSalles. Unless you are purist, why not hide a toggle switch under the dash and use it for your directional signals? There's a supplier that makes a 6V positive to ground timer that allows the signals to operate for 30 seconds off a momentary toggle. I'm going to install one as soon as I get the chance, but for you, for now, you can rely on your memory to shut the turn signal off once you have made the turn.

Jack Murray
'40-5067
'40-5067
'40-5019
'06 CTS
'08 DTs
'10 DTS

Tom Boehm

Dave and Jack you are both right. I got the turn signal switch to work. After working it back and forth a while it just started working. I seemed to help when I cleaned the brass inside the handle. The flasher does not work. I get one at NAPA tomorrow. I can't get the bulb inside the switch to work. The bulb is good I tested it. I know the bulb is only supposed to come on when the signal lights are on.

NAPA has several 6 volt flashers online. Does it matter which one?

Tom Boehm

A new flasher got everything working. I have stop lights and flashing turn signal lights now. I sprayed some contact cleaner down in the socket on the switch and the bulb even lights up a little bit now. Maybe another shot of contact cleaner.

DaveZ

Great to hear Tom! Now just don't forget they don't turn off by themselves:-(
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B