News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

shocks

Started by Georges63cad, June 04, 2019, 08:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georges63cad

Good morning to all, I'm installing new coil springs in my 63 Fleetwood 4 door. I also need shocks to and just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which shocks to buy. Of coarse we all want shocks that will give us great control and ride, only I can't afford the best there is.  Someone told me to check out A1 Shock. I talked with Mark and he suggested a set (all four) of his extra heavy duty Hydrolic shocks that came to $459.90. Wow, a little steep for me. I'm sure they are great shocks but I need a set that's not so expensive. I was looking at the AC Delco shocks from O.P.G. for $277.96 for all four but was wondering how good they were. I don't drive the car much or go on long drives so I don't think I need the best  Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dan LeBlanc

Check RockAuto.  The same AC Delco shocks will be less than what OPG is looking to take you for.

At that price, it should at least come with dinner first.

I bought a pair of Gabriel gas charged shocks at AutoZone for the rear of my 77.  A whopping $30!

Stop looking at the specialty vendors and start looking at your local parts store.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Georges63cad

Very good advice Dan, my cousin tells me that all the time. I think it would be a good idea to start listening.

Georges63cad

Hi Art, I checked out NAPA and they have some nice shocks but with such a heavy car I'm thinking maybe a heavy duty shock would be better. Would it?

Scot Minesinger

For my 1970 Cadillacs I buy the Monroe Sensa-track and they are black so they look authentic.  They provide nice combo of ride and handling, total cost for all is like $75.  I was not trying to save money and would spend $400 if that is what it takes, but these are so nice, I use them on these big Caddy's.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Varooom

I just bought a full set of seven AC/Delco Pleasurizers and Monroe shocks for my '67 Eldo from Craig Stanley in NY State.  Yes - it takes SEVEN!

They are in the original boxes and three out of seven are made from unobtanium.  I got a reasonable deal.  He has an old parts inventory from their family parts store.  516-485-1935
Happy Motoring!
1967 Cadillac Eldorado
1949 Buick Roadmaster 76S
1949 Roadmaster 76C
old favorites: 1967 Eldorado (tan), 1983 Sedan DeVille, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 1962 Chevy Impala, 1969 Lincoln Mark II, 1973 BMW Bavaria, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 1968 BMW 1600, 1952 GMC Pickup, 1953 Mercury Monterrey, 1956 Ford Victoria

Georges63cad

Thank you for the number Dan but I think I'm going to go with the Monroe sensa track. I forgot all about them, thanks Scot.

Georges63cad

Scot, can't find the Sensa trac for 63 Cad. Might just go with what my local auto parts store has. I'm sure they are all good.

Georges63cad

Well I'm going with Gabriel Classic gas shocks. Not sure but I think the rears are heavy duty. I just hope they give me a nice ride and good control. Thanks guys.