News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

85 eldorado transmission

Started by Dulcidog2, June 04, 2019, 02:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dulcidog2

Driving My Biarritz convertible past couple days , Car runs well but getting off the highway and driving slower Transmission seems VERY strange  almost as if its slipping and going to stall car . Straightens out quickly just odd - any thoughts ?
thanks - Bill 14869   

TMoore - NTCLC

That sounds like the overdrive switch is sticking - others with more knowledge will chime in, but it seems to be a common, and easily fixable issue.

35-709

Agree, sounds like the converter lock-up isn't releasing. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

A torque converter clutch not unlocking would be like driving a manual transmission and not pressing the clutch.   If you just took your foot off the gas you would get pretty strong engine braking and at some point could stall the engine.

Except for the diesels the converter clutch was controlled  by the main computer and having it falsely commanding the clutch wasn't a common issue.  What was common was for the solenoid in the transmission to get sticky.   Easiest way to be sure was to unplug the electrical connector on the side of the transmission.  No electrical signal means it never locks up so it can't stick.  Many people would just leave them like that.  It doesn't really hurt anything other than MPG.   Many cars in the 80's didn't even kick on a check engine light.  I never did it on a Cad so maybe since those had fancier computers it would trip a check engine light.    I'm not sure where the connector is on the 325 4L but it should be the only connector on the transmission. 

If that doesn't at least temporally solve the problem the other thing to check is the TV cable.   On this transmission the cable is what determines the shifting so if its sticking the transmission will be very confused about what you and the engine are expecting it to be doing.   It will be one of 3 cables on the throttle linkage.   Its the lower of the 3 cables.   You can operate the throttle and make sure its staying under tension.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

James Landi

Occasionally, that issued occurred on my high mileage 1983 Eldo... I "helped" out the transmission by manually down shifting it when I could feel the engine begin to lug, and that "unlocked" the overdrive function.  As the car aged, it would occur more frequently when hot, but nursing it along worked for many, many years.   Hope this helps,   James