News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Car Build Sheet Decoding

Started by Flyer, June 05, 2019, 11:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

I ordered and received a car build sheet for my 1967 Cadillac Eldorado from GM Media Archives. The information I received did not include the decoding information needed to determine what level of option was installed on the car when it left the factory.  My question that I hope someone can answer is regarding the factory installed tires. The build sheet shows Tire Ply 2,4,6,S and my car was a code 2. Does anyone know what that designates  as to the type of tire that was installed? Thanks much. Hugh Dean

D.Smith

2, 4 & 6 designate brand only.  You were not guaranteed a particular brand when ordering a new car.  You could specify one, but they couldn't guarantee it due to supplier deliveries.

S indicates the optional high speed bias ply offered on the Eldorados.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Dave,
Sorry but I'm questioning part of your response. If the heading says plys, 2,4,6 are actual plys that were available. It has nothing to do with tire brand. The S info is correct.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Flyer

Dave & Bob - Thanks much for your response to my question. I obtained a copy of the 1967 Data book and on page B-8 it states that " optional whitewall tires are available in 2-ply, size 9.00 x 15 except on the Seventy-Five , an 8.20 x 15, 4-ply is provided. Special high speed nylon tires are available at extra charge in 9.00 x 15 size." The Calais & De Ville came with 9.00 x 15 4ply rating 2ply, the Fleetwood 75 8.20 x 15 8 ply rating 4 ply and Commercial vehicles had 8.90 x 15 8 ply rating 6 ply (page 59, 1967 Data book, Owners Manual Section). The Data book Section H, General Specifications, sub title Detailed Specifications page H-7, Describes 4 makes, U. S. Royal, Firestone, Goodrich and Goodyear, all tubeless. Size for the Eldorado is 9.00 x 15. I'm inclined to think that 2, 4, 6, are ply ratings for the tires. I have yet to determine if there was a coding for the specific tire manufacturer. Since white walls were optional I assume all the blackwalls came in a 2 ply tire. My car has an original 52 year old bias-ply blackwall as a spare. The dual whitewalls on my car are 10+ years and unsafe to drive, who knows what came on the car from the factory. Thanks much for your help. Hugh