News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Missing data plate?

Started by Carnut48843, June 05, 2019, 01:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut48843

Hi All,

Still searching for that right Eldorado (61-66) to be my forever car.    I came across one the other day which held promise... sort of.   

I asked the seller to provide a photo of the data plate on the firewall so I could confirm a few things.   Keep in mind this was described as a very low mileage car, less than 10,000 miles.  I was surprised when the seller responded that the data plate was missing.  He said he could confirm it was an Eldorado, as the VIN on the frame started with a star symbol, followed by E6.

Long story is that I decided to pass on the car.   Some other things didn't add up either.   My question to the group is, has anyone else run across a car with a missing data plate?   I've been in and around old cars for a long time, and don't think I've ever run across that. How in the world would it fall off?  They're riveted on!   😳  Maybe something happens to them I've never heard of?  All thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Les
Les Gyori

ccblunt

Is it possible that the seller didn't know exactly where to look? When I first got my 1960 DeVille, it took me a while to figure out where it was. When I first went to look for it, the raised hood blocked my view ... I even wondered if the plate might be missing.
Christopher Blunt
1960 Sedan DeVille

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Carnut48843 on June 05, 2019, 01:19:30 PM
Hi All,

Still searching for that right Eldorado (61-66) to be my forever car.    I came across one the other day which held promise... sort of.   

I asked the seller to provide a photo of the data plate on the firewall so I could confirm a few things.   Keep in mind this was described as a very low mileage car, less than 10,000 miles.  I was surprised when the seller responded that the data plate was missing.  He said he could confirm it was an Eldorado, as the VIN on the frame started with a star symbol, followed by E6.

Long story is that I decided to pass on the car.   Some other things didn't add up either.   My question to the group is, has anyone else run across a car with a missing data plate?   I've been in and around old cars for a long time, and don't think I've ever run across that. How in the world would it fall off?  They're riveted on!   😳  Maybe something happens to them I've never heard of?  All thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Les

No reason for the plate to be missing under almost any circumstances, let alone on a 10,000 mile car. From 1961 - 1964, the first to digits should be model year, ie: 61, 62...followed by body style code E (Eldorado) therefore 61E, 62E etc. Not quite sure what they did in 1965 & 1966.

You didn't specify what year the car is. 1966?

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Carnut48843

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on June 05, 2019, 07:03:05 PM
No reason for the plate to be missing under almost any circumstances, let alone on a 10,000 mile car. From 1961 - 1964, the first to digits should be model year, ie: 61, 62...followed by body style code E (Eldorado) therefore 61E, 62E etc. Not quite sure what they did in 1965 & 1966.

You didn't specify what year the car is. 1966?

Yes, it was a 66.  You confirmed what I was thinking.  There is no reason why it should be missing.   I saw a photo of a data plate on a 61 Eldo later in the day yesterday, and it was obvious it was riveted in place, with hollow rivets.  I expect it would be much the same for '66.   There was something amiss about the car I was inquiring about, and glad I moved on.  Thanks for the reply.  There were a couple of other things that didn't pass there smell test for a 10,000 mile car, but no sense getting into all that now.

Les
Les Gyori

Carnut48843

Quote from: ccblunt on June 05, 2019, 06:40:45 PM
Is it possible that the seller didn't know exactly where to look? When I first got my 1960 DeVille, it took me a while to figure out where it was. When I first went to look for it, the raised hood blocked my view ... I even wondered if the plate might be missing.

The car is on consignment at a classic car dealer.   I expect he knew where to look, in fact the dealer was explicit in saying that it was missing, and not that he couldn't find it.   No reason it should be falling off as Eric pointed out in his post.   Glad I moved on from this one.
Les Gyori

wrefakis

no 10k mile 66 eldo is known but I would love to find one

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Les,
Why not give Bill the lead so he follow up?
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.