News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Six volt generator repair?

Started by Tom Boehm, June 06, 2019, 08:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Boehm

Are there things I can do to diagnose and repair my generator before I have to take it to a shop? 1940 Lasalle. The generator was restored along with the engine a long time ago. The engine was hot wired to run on the battery ever since. This has been a long restoration. I finally connected the generator and voltage regulator. I used a voltmeter and I am not getting anything. I read Washburn's column in the April Self Starter. I did polarize by momentarily connecting the BATT and GEN terminals on the voltage regulator. I did not disconnect the battery when I connected the generator and voltage regulator. I later read that is a NO NO. How is that supposed to damage the generator?

Jay Friedman

When your are not getting a charge, frequently the problem is with the voltage regulator.  I suggest you do a simple test for this by connecting a jumper wire from the F terminal on the regulator to a ground point.  Then start the motor and run it briefly at a speed faster than idle.  If you get a charge, the fault is with the regulator; if not the fault is with the generator.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Tom Boehm

I took my generator and voltage regulator to a shop to have them tested. The generator had reversed polarity but it is good. He said the voltage regulator is not working. That's progress. He did it right away and did not charge me!

Jamurray

I have a 1940 LaSalle, and it occurred to me that I could install a 6 volt positive-to-ground alternator and accomplish two wonderful things: charging takes place even at engine idle, and the regulator becomes a mere ornament on the firewall. I'm waiting for it to arrive, so I can't attest to its efficacy. I'll tell the Cadillac world when, and if, this great idea has actually worked.

Of course, if authenticity is crucial, there are alternators out there that look like the generators they replace.

J. Murray
1940 5067
1940 5067
1940 5019
2006 CTS
2008 DTS
2010 DTS

bcroe

Quote from: Jamurray
I have a 1940 LaSalle, and it occurred to me that I could install a 6 volt positive-to-ground alternator and accomplish two wonderful things: charging takes place even at engine idle, and the regulator becomes a mere ornament on the firewall.
J. Murray   

Yes, I presume you will need some new wiring?  Bruce Roe

Jamurray

Stay tuned. This may not be my first great idea that resulted in failure.

jackworstell

To mount the alternator...are you going to use a "Becker" adapter plate ?

Jack Wortsell