News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Technical differences '77-'79 Fleetwoods & DeVilles

Started by J.C., June 06, 2019, 10:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.C.

Hey, Folks,

I've been thinking of getting a '77 to '79 Fleetwood or Sedan DeVille.  I like that 1977, 1978, and 1979 body style.

But which is best to get?  Is a '79 best because that's the newest?  Are '79s superior to '77s and '78s?

Or are all three model years equally good (that is, equal quality), with condition and mileage being the primary considerations?

All thoughts appreciated!  Thanks!

J.C.
Coral Gables, FL
2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

Barry M Wheeler #2189

John...You have a '79 CDV and you have to ask??? We've had one '78 and about half a dozen '79s.  The clock on the '78 growled.

I'm blipping with you. I don't think they're all that much different. Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

e.kempton

I have had many of the 77-79 Fleetwoods & DeVilles.  The best year is the 78 as it has things they did away with in 79 such as the radio antenna switch, dark fake wood, more interior lights, and for some unknown reason 78's run smother and get better gas mileage then a 79.  I would rather a DeVille over a Fleetwood because Fleetwoods have rear disc brakes and DeVilles have drums in the rear with a much better pedal feel as the Fleetwoods have a spongy low pedal. Remember in 1980 the Fleetwoods went back to having drum brakes in the rear. Also the DeVille to look for are the Phaeton models either in a 2 door or a 4 door.  The best thing about the 77-79's is the 425 engine.  It is by far the best Cadillac engine they ever had.  If they only kept that engine in all those 1980's full size Cadillac's ,  Cadillac would still be on top. 

Dan LeBlanc

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3 years.

I own a 3x black 77 Fleetwood with leather and Astro Roof.  I've driven a friend's 78 Coupe de Ville.  Haven't driven a 79 yet.  To me, they all feel the same.

One thing I love is the tail lights on a 77 at night.  That makes the whole rear treatment in my opinion.  If I could combine a 77 Fleetwood leather interior with the 77 rear treatment, and a 79 grille and header bar, that would be the penultimate combination for me. 

Of the 3 years, though, the 77 Fleetwood has the most interior lights - one reading lamp in each door, two reading lamps in the rear sail panels, one courtesy lamp in each door, two map lights, and two foot well lights.  That's 14 interior lights on my Astro Roof equipped car.  I'm not sure if cars with normal roofs had a dome light with reading lights or not.  If so, that would be 17 interior lights.

I did drive the 77 to work this morning and it's growing on me, although the Ford guy in me still wants a 77 Lincoln Continental in Town Car or Town Coupe trim.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

V63

I do like, and owned all three, however, 77-8 are significantly better. The focus was to shed more weight in 1979 models...which meant more plastic, aluminum and elimination. I feel a good bit of quality left too. The wood finish, very nice as new,  fades terrible in 1979 models. The ‘tangier’ carpet offered in d’elegance was like that of a plush toy. Impressive as new, soon looked like a matted dog. Fleetwood still offered (still useless) foot rests in 1977, I like the thought. I love the sound of those rolling digital clocks (offered 1973-1978) grinding away, most are working today!

Dan LeBlanc

I cleaned and lubed my rolling drum digital clock and it's silent!  Keeps great time too.

I have the rear foot rests.  They were dropped midway through the 1977 model year and replaced with the seat back map pockets.
Dan LeBlanc

V63

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

No significant mechanical differences between Tri7s other than minor refinements and other small changes to grilles/taillamp lenses that actually allowed one to distinguish one year from another.

Other than the taillamp style which was unique to 1977, it was also the only year of the Tri7s with clear turn signal lenses in the front; 78/79 were amber. Body mounts were refined in 1978 for a softer ride.

1979 was the only year for dome interior lamp unit which also contained dual reading lamps for driver and front passenger. (Helpful in holding up sagging headliners too!  ;D) 1979 was also the first year for seat belt warning chimes (in DeVille/Brougham) instead of buzzer, and digital clock radio eliminating the upper dash mechanical clock.  Map lights were also eliminated from the dash (just below the radio) as well courtesy lamps in the front footwells in 1979. Restyled steering wheel & rim woodgrain insert designed to be more resistant to cracking apart which was a constant problem in earlier steering wheels.

Also agreed with the observation of the spongy brake pedal on Tri7 Broughams which had 4 wheel disc brakes. Pedal feels much better on DeVilles with disc/drums setup.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

There was a 3.07 performance rear axle option I understand, not sure but might have only been available in 1979, this would give some added snap at the stop light.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on June 07, 2019, 11:33:19 AM
There was a 3.07 performance rear axle option I understand, not sure but might have only been available in 1979, this would give some added snap at the stop light.

3.07 axle ratio was part of the high altitude package which dates back to at least 1977 and probably earlier. Could also be ordered individually if desired.

I once had a 1977 CdV with it. Accelerated like a rocket.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: V63 on June 07, 2019, 07:41:13 AM
I do like, and owned all three, however, 77-8 are significantly better. The focus was to shed more weight in 1979 models...which meant more plastic, aluminum and elimination. I feel a good bit of quality left too. The wood finish, very nice as new,  fades terrible in 1979 models. The ‘tangier’ carpet offered in d’elegance was like that of a plush toy. Impressive as new, soon looked like a matted dog. Fleetwood still offered (still useless) foot rests in 1977, I like the thought. I love the sound of those rolling digital clocks (offered 1973-1978) grinding away, most are working today!

The footrests were quite useful in the long 133" wheelbase 1965-76 Fleetwoods!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

I've never noticed any significant difference in overall quality, weight or substance between 77/78 and 1979. I believe aluminum hoods were only used on Sedan deVilles built in CA and Fleetwood Brougham in the '79 model year.

TJ Hopland

78 was the 'new' electrical system with the plastic fuses vs the old glass ones.

78 I think was also the partially electronic cruise control.  It used a sensor in the speedometer and a module instead of the inline speedometer cable gearbox unit. 

78 was also the electric level ride compressor

77 78 had the fat horizontal bar steering wheel that must have been some new at the time plastics that seemed to age much worse than earlier and later ones.   79 was the 2 spoke 'frown' that lasted into the 90's for the non air bag cars.

Did the digital radio start in 79 or was that 80?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

V63

1977 SDV/Fleetwood had the ATO (plastic) fuses, those were a great improvement, only Eldorado model retained the glass fuses in 1977.

- New plastic fuses were used in all the downsized GM full size cars beginning 1977. Eldorado & Seville still used the glass tube fuses until the next styling generation in 1979 and 1980 respectively.

- Digital radio with built in clock first became optionally available in 1977 (no tape); in 1978 a digital radio with 8-Track was added but availability was limited to the Fleetwood Brougham only. In 1979, digital radio became standard for all models.

TJ Hopland

Makes more sense that the fuses changed with the 77 downsize rather than a year later.  It must have been an Eldo or Seville that made me think 77 didn't have it.

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

TJ Hopland

Hmmm have to remember not to trust my memory on some things, will have to check the manuals more often.   Now if I could just remember where I put the manuals........

J.C.

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on June 07, 2019, 07:23:08 AMI own a 3x black 77 Fleetwood with leather and Astro Roof.

I just saw the photos you posted and, my God, Dan, that's a beautiful car!

J.C.
2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

Dan LeBlanc

Thanks John.

I have a love/hate relationship with the car.  Had a bunch of bugs to sort out with it when I got it that I wasn't expecting.  They're sorted out now, but it was a painful process getting there.

It's by far the most drivable and comfortable car I've owned.  We had to run into the city on Sunday to hit Home Depot and get groceries, so we took it.  Around town and on the highway, it performs very well.  Once you find one, I think you'll like it.  This one is growing on me.
Dan LeBlanc