News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Scam Or Real Anyone Know Darrick Day?

Started by carlhungness, June 03, 2019, 05:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

I have just been offered a new '37 Cad-LaSalle transmission case from a man named
Darrick Day phone 775 213-3588 along with some other parts. He claims a man named Fairchild gave him my number, and I find no Fairchild in the Cad club so far. Mr. Day is in one helluva hurry to leave town and offered me said parts..like now..or he is going to
scrap them.
I did place a Wanted ad in the forum and the possibility exists someone is trolling.
Thus he shall ask me for a PayPal payment in just a few minutes so I thought it prudent to try and see if anyone has ever heard of him. He is in Nevada at present.
I am at 812 273-2472 in case anyone can help.

Jim Miller

Why would someone scrap something they could sell. And want a quick payment?
I was in banking 45 years and this doesn't pass my smell test.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

C Gorgas

If he is on the up & up he will not scrap the parts as they must have value. Tread Softly.

carlhungness

Thanks for the rapid advice. I am trying replace the  '37 case UPS broke while it was
packaged inside of a 3/4" plywood box. It arrived at the customer's home in a cardboard box, and I did not buy insurance. Possibly the top of the shift tower can be welded.
  I think someone is trolling our Wanted ads and it seems as though Mr. Darrick Day, if that's his name, may be one. I was real close to sending him PayPal money and I asked for photos of the items and the number of "Mr. Fairchild" who gave him my number. I see no Fairchild in our membership rolls and Mr. Day claimed his flip phone only holds ten numbers and he has had 13 calls today, so he can't give me Mr. Fairchild's number.
  Then too, if he is going to scrap a  new '37 case and an excellent grille he has a screw loose. Glad I did not send the money.

carlhungness

So a few minutes ago a man with a heavy (Pakistani??) accent called me and said "I understand you want to talk with me," as I had asked this Darrick Day how he got my name and he said it was from Mr. Fairchild.
    Thus I decided to toy with Mr. Fairchild.
    "Oh, yes Mr. Fairchild, Darrick Day told me you told him about me wanting a '37 LaSalle transmisson."
     "Yes, that is correct. I found out through a friend of mine who is a member of the Cadillac club you want a transmission so I called Mr. Day."
    "Do you have a Cadillac or LaSalle Mr. Fairchild?"
     "Oh yes, I have a 1941."
      "What body style is it."
      "It is a four-door."
      "What kind of engine does it have."
      "It is a big engine."
       "Well, what do they call that engine, is it an over-head valve engine?"
      Then he hung up.
        Thus Hungness didn't get hung out to dry on this one.
       Darrick Day is currently calling my customer, Jack Henton and trying to have him
send money to...wait for it..a Wal-Mart. I called Jack and told him to call the FBI and
maybe we could do a sting.
       I was approached by three different scammers last year when I was looking for a '37 LaSalle coupe and the best I could get was, "Send me $500 and I will send you a picture of the title."  All three wanted me to send money to a Wal-Mart before they'd take a photo of the titles.
       I called the FBI and they know all about these guys and would do a sting if they have time.
      There's nothing I'd like better than to see some of these characters locked up.
      So a word to the wise, if you place a WANTED ad anywhere, caveat emptor.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

They are most likely from India.  Quite a few interesting
scams originate from there.  I was almost a victim like
you (not involving Cadillac parts) until I smelled a rat.

They called me at home, told me they were employed by
Microsoft and were contacting me due to a "malware alert"
that originated from my computer.  They nicely offered to
remove it if I would send $500 via Pay Pal.  I didn't bite.
They called me back for WEEKS.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

The Tassie Devil(le)

I always ask them to put me in touch with someone who speaks good English, as I find it difficult to understand their accent.

Or, tell them to hold on whilst I answer the front door.   Then see if they are still online an hour later.   But, that is with my land line.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Abe Lugo

ONLY send PayPal as business. This the Only way to protect your money.

Most all Wanted forums currently are being targets for these type of scammers.  This is happening on two other forums I frequent.
Usually they ask for a Walmart money wire.

Ask for more photos.  Double check that those photos  are not stolen from the internet.
One other thing you can do is see if there is a club member nearby that can take a look at the part for you.
Get the sellers address.

I brought up this issue on the club servey this year. By Only letting Club members have access to the classifieds for both selling and buying It can help prevent this. 

Edited.  My fat fingers and phone and autocorrect don’t help each other.
Abe Lugo
Abe Lugo  CLC#31763  Sunny Los Angeles,CA @abelugo IG

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on June 03, 2019, 08:25:06 PM
that originated from my computer. 

Interesting! Mike, I had the same phone call 2 or 3 years ago when we were in our house in France! I'm not sure, I may have a similar call in Switzerland too. They always speak English to somebody who is supposed to speak French (in France) French or German in Switzerland. In those circumstances, I cannot speak a single English word!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on June 03, 2019, 08:25:06 PM
They are most likely from India.  Quite a few interesting
scams originate from there.  I was almost a victim like
you (not involving Cadillac parts) until I smelled a rat.

that originated from my computer.  They nicely offered to
remove it if I would send $500 via Pay Pal.  I didn't bite.
They called me back for WEEKS.

Mike

Sometimes I tell them That I'm using a mac. (as if), but I haven't actually dragged them on yet.  There is a funny you tube about this by a comedian. it is Funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QdPW8JrYzQ

How do you send 1500 BP via a giant gummy lizard???
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

59-in-pieces

Mike,
Funny vid.

Carl,
Our family has a coat-of-arms: "A Lion Rampant on a Green Field of Indecision".
Around the boarder it reads - "NEVER HURRY TO A DISASTER".
>:D

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

autoluke

I also got the Microsoft Alert two weeks ago, asking me to enter certain code numbers via my computer to erase the threat.

Heavy Indian accent.
Phil Lukens

J. Gomez

The North America telephone numbering plan consist on the 3 numbers for the area code (NPA code), three digits for the exchange/office prefix (NXX) and 4 digits for the phone/line number.

The NPA can have 2-9 digit on the first and 0-9 on the second and third. The NXX can have 2-9 for the first and 0-9 for the second and third but the third can’t have “1” if the second is also “1”.

That was the old way and still the same under the PSTN (public switch telephone network) or better known today as the land-line service.

With today’s mobile/cell services the NPA/NXX assignments can be set to anywhere no longer tied to a physical location as the old land-line. With the new trend VoIP (voice-over-IP/internet voice services) it is even easier as the phone number can be change on the fly and the VoIP server can be anywhere in the world while the phone is on the other side of the world.

Spammers/telemarketer can assigned/spoof their numbers from a pool of disconnect telephone numbers (“this number is no longer in service” recording) or just any working number to make the call, so when you try to return the call you will get the “disconnect” recording or nothing.   :o

I know this is outside the Cadillac general required topic that is required here, so just a general info..!   ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082