News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 distributor lube points. chapter 2-2

Started by paulkersey, June 10, 2019, 10:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulkersey

Hello all. Installed new points and bits in dist.

1960 supplement 2-2 shows a trace of cam + bearing lube to breaker arm

Where exactly is this pivot point? can i just 10w it?

My plan was to put a drop of 10W on the felt, fill up the cup and that's all...
J. Wicks # 19583

Big Fins

The cam on the dizzy shaft that rubs on the points block causing them to open and close is what they are referring to. If the set you installed has the felt wick, a drop of any motor oil will work with mineral oil or sewing machine oil being the best as it won't gum up.

Where did you get points that had the felt? Or was it installed in the dizzy originally? Amazing that no one pulled it out not knowing what it was for.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

paulkersey

Rock Auto Delco "High Performance" version.
I have some 10w machine oil that is already going in the cups so thanks I will put one drop on the felt.
J. Wicks # 19583

fishnjim

Generally, the lube was applied to the follower in the direction of rotation in the recess.  Used to come with the points in a tube or pocket.
This is not a common set of points.   They changed designs going forward.   The original followers would be a pressed fiber material.   This appears to be a translucent plastic.
Even if you don't put anything, I don't see an issue.   You don't want it to collect dust and dirt, and I think that's the "wicks" function here.  But I can also see it wearing and wraping around the points cam.
If there's no instructions in the box, and manual not clear, contact folks who made this set.   If you buy "regular" points, the wick won't be there and I'm sure the combo w/ condenser built in will fit.   I'd convert to electronic and avoid the issue.