News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bumper jacks 1946-1960?

Started by Caddy Wizard, June 12, 2019, 02:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

Is anyone on the Forum really knowledgeable about the visual differences between various post-war years bumper jacks?  Say, between 1946 and 1960?  What I am most interested in is the hook or ledge that is supposed to grab onto the underside of the bumper to lift the car.  Can anyone say with some certainty what this part of the bumper looked like for various years?

I have seen hooks that looked like bent flat sheets of steet. And another that looked like a length of steel tube. You don't see pictures of the bumper in the parts books, i don't think.   And they don't seem to randomly show up in the Shop Manuals either.  So it leaves many of us wondering...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Roger Zimmermann

That's a difficult task. I cannot answer your question; I just can offer to photography my '56 Biarritz hook as well as the one from my '57 Brougham. However, I cannot do that before early July.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

Unless you owned each one, and had an excellent photographic memory or photos...or a major research project.   Probably have to refer to dwgs/PNs for authentication.  Otherwise, it's hearsay.
Next best, I'd say to get owners for each to show what they got/think is right and catalog for future.   Even if you find one in a car, no telling, if original.   Some parts yards may have a stash that's marked from what car they came from - but where?  (AllCads? call around)
All I recall is the "hook" changed year to year more so than the body and conformed to the contour of the bumper generally. 
I didn't even try to find one for the '58 for all the reasons.   I'd call a tow.   
Frankly, they were scary to use then and silly to use now.  I've preferred a floor jack since the 60s.   I had to change a few tires out on the road, and the jacks always leaned, so I kept my distance.   I'd put a scissors or hydraulic type on a long haul.

fishnjim

I just thought of another way to get this info.   I ran a check in the '58 lit.
In the owners manual, there usually are jacking instructions and most of the time an
illustration of the jack and where it goes on the front and back and how to change the tire.

These are available in the GM Heritage Center archives as part of the specifications.   Would take some work but would give more credibility to the effort.   Then could be cross reference by year with the P/Ns from the parts list.   

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's my 49 jack/tools in the oem box. In 50, they came in a zippered bag.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Bob Schuman

Jeff Maltby's jack looks like the one Jack Hoffman had in his 49 fastback and looks like the one in the 51-60S at the 2019 GN. The owner of that car said it is the original jack. I have seen four other jacks that have no separate hook, just a flat L shaped plate permanently attached to the body of the jack. One was in an original 55-60S, another in Art's 55-60S. That is the type I obtained for my 51-6137 and for my former 49 CDV. It is usable on the 51, was not usable on the 49 without addition to the lip that engages the bumper.
My 1959 MPB lists one bumper jack for 1948-1955 Cadillacs, which I believe is not correct, but I lack enough reliable information to be sure what jack is for what years.
Perhaps more owners of original cars of those years can help out here.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

bcroe

Quote from: fishnjim
All I recall is the "hook" changed year to year more so than the body and conformed to the contour of the bumper generally. 
I didn't even try to find one for the '58 for all the reasons.   I'd call a tow.   
Frankly, they were scary to use then and silly to use now.  I've preferred a floor jack since the 60s.   I had to change a few tires out on the road, and the jacks always leaned, so I kept my distance.   I'd put a scissors or hydraulic type on a long haul.

My experience, the hook part varied widely to fit the bumper style. 
I was never very happy with them.  After seeing the OEM frame
jack that came with my 80, I scouted the junk yard and found enough
of them to equip every car here.  And bought REAL spares for those
not originally equipped.  Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bruce,

What does that jack look like?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bcroe

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le)
G'day Bruce,

What does that jack look like?   Bruce. >:D

This fits a convenient corner frame hole on everything here. 

I guess if a shop put the lug nuts on so tight you could not
get them loose, you might have to call a tow truck.  Since I
personally put wheels on and off, that never happens here. 
Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks Bruce,

Looks like it should fit under the side frame of my '72.   But, I would have to install a hole in the frame to accept it so it didn't slide off as the height got greater.

Looks like I am staying with the Bumper Jack for my '72.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

bcroe

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le)Thanks Bruce,

Looks like it should fit under the side frame of my '72.   But, I would have to install a hole in the frame to accept it so it didn't slide off as the height got greater.

Looks like I am staying with the Bumper Jack for my '72.  Bruce.

All my frames had big corner holes that fit, several years before
the jack back to 77.  But I do not have a 72.  Bruce Roe