News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Finding a qualified mechanic for a 1976 Eldorado Convertible

Started by Maxfli, June 17, 2019, 02:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxfli

I live in Sunset Beach, NC and am looking for a mechanic to work on three issues with my Eldorado. The interior lights will not go out, the gas gauge is nonfunctional, a new sending unit was installed but the mechanic was unable to find the ground wire so the unit doesn't work, and to inspect the ride leveling system and make it functional. I bought the car in November with 440 miles on it and it currently has 750 miles on it. Everything else on the car now works properly but would feel much better if someone who members trusted and were happy with went over the car completely. Any recommendations?

Scot Minesinger

"the mechanic was unable to find the ground wire"  If ever there was a crazy statement that is it.  Grounds are easy to make anywhere you need them.

Sorry about my rant and I see why you need to find a good mechanic.  The best mechanic you will eventually find is yourself.  Reading the manual and gradually doing everything myself was the best way.  I bought my 1970 DVC with the idea of paying others to work on it, but never could find anyone and decided to do it all myself.  After about 5 years I was pulling engines and everything.  Nothing is very difficult, just read and thoroughly understand everything before you start.  Most mechanics I have suffered through, guess, and mess up everything.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

BJM

So, one method I use when replacing parts is to see how the old part is affixed/attached or set up.  BEFORE removing the old part observe, take photos of the wiring, fasteners, etc so that the new part goes in the same way.   You need a new mechanic, sorry. 

I'm with Scot, grounds are pretty easy to make. 

Interior lights not going out also is usually a ground issue.  Wiring diagram is needed. At the very least, pull the fuse.

Sounds like you purchased one of those "time capsule" 1976 Eldorados that was never driven because collectors thought it was truly the last convertible. 

Bentley

Clinton,

You might try going to some local car shows, and asking some of the owners where they get their cars worked on. Once you get a referral to a mechanic, get the shop manual and bring it with you.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Is the car equipped with Illuminated Entry System? (Identified by small clear plastic light diffusers built into the exterior door handles just above the door lock cylinders) 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Bentley on June 17, 2019, 04:25:33 PM
Clinton,

You might try going to some local car shows, and asking some of the owners where they get their cars worked on. Once you get a referral to a mechanic, get the shop manual and bring it with you.

^ *BOOM ^

A mechanics/shops best advertising are the old cars at the shows.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

cadillacmike68

Courtesy lights not going out is usually a door pin switch or the headlight dimmer resistor. Illuminated Entry might make this a bit more complex.

We don't all have the space, tools and $$$ to buy them that Scot has.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

Eric is probably right, I had to disable the illuminated entry system on a 1976 FWB to keep the interior lights from staying on and draining the battery.  Usually the door switches fail to turn on interior lights, not keep them on if they break.

V63

A few quick checks. ✅

✅The interior lights can manually initiate by ‘turning’ the head light switch knob fully clockwise until you feel a detent. Might verify that did not happen by turning it counter clockwise off the detention.

✅The twilight sentinel eye (for headlights only) is in the drivers speaker grill, if a dash mat (or other obstruction) is upon the dash or sensor...it will effectively sense night 🌘 time conditions.

The Twilight Sentinel is completely independent from the courtesy lighting circuit in 1976.

It wasn't until the late '80s when outside lighting conditions determined whether interior illumination was called for.

STS05lg

Clinton, if your car is equipped with illuminated entry as noted above with a light over the door handle push button, then the reason that your lights will not go out is a faulty illuminated entry module. These modules are not available NOS or on the after market. It is located behind the kick plate next to the emergency brake. The only solution is to disconnect it. Then the interior lights will work normally (interior lights on when you open a door and interior lights off when the door is closed, there will be no time delay once it is disconnected). The failure of this module will run down your battery very quickly. If you do not have illuminated entry is is most likely a door switch failure as noted by others. Hope this helps. Lynn

Glen

Is this module encapsulated?  Is it possible to repair it? 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The relay was probably not designed to be serviceable...but who knows what some wiz might be able to accomplish...

76eldo

The OP can see a wealth of information if he comes back to check on the posting...

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

bcroe

Electrical work seems to escape a lot of people, including some
mechanics.  Is there a ELECTRICAL CERTIFIED certificate for
mechanics?  It is not heavy work, but getting access to the wiring
can be a problem in a vehicle. 

The first step is getting the manuals covering the vehicle, and do
be prepared to find errors.  Tracing will involve using your meters
to lead you to a fault, do not assume a fault will be visible to the
eye.  Then there is a matter of making wiring repairs suitable for
the environment they must survive.  Many modules can be sent
out for repair, simple ones fix yourself.  good luck,
Bruce Roe

Scot Minesinger

This illuminated entry feature is easily disabled and then it functions as a regular car with lights turning on when you open the door.  Yes of course it can be fixed by the juice will not be worth the squeeze. 

My memory may be sketchy but I vaguely remember a picture of of the fuse block with an arrow pointing to a wire that ran into the front of fuse block being labeled "Illuminated Entry Bypass".

Bill Young

I had the same problem with the interior lights on my Eldorado Convertible. The problem is harder to trace because your car applies ground when you open the door. rather than power as in most cars. Here is what you do. Put the fuse in the fuse block and all the lights will be on. Then remove the dash panel below the steering wheel. Then look in the left corner for several white plastic connectors , these control each quadrant of interior lights , left rear , left door etc. My problem it turned out was a short behind the right front kick pad. The same fuse powers the seat back releases also. I hope this helps.