News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

sychronizing points on 1931-32 Cadillac distributor

Started by kkarrer, June 22, 2019, 05:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

Hello,
    A club member just got his 31 distributor back from Classic and Exotic and it looks great.  My understanding was that it was supposed to be run on a Sun machine to set and synchronize the points and make other checks, but after we stabbed it and the car wouldn't start I checked the points and one set was just about closed and the other was about 32.  I usually set these at about 21 so I don't see how this unit was run on a Sun Machine, but we'll talk to them on Monday.  Meanwhile, though I've reset the points and the engine will not fire...only an occasional back fire. (I can see and hear the points sparking as we turn the engine over with the cap removed)  The engine was running and starting easily when the distributor was sent off and was not disturbed while we were waiting for the distributor to be returned.  We're getting fire and I've stabbed the distributor at 180 and again at 180 (at one position the engine turns over with more difficulty than the other) and static checked the timing (pressure at #1 as the timing marks come up).  I've also rotated the distributor as we were turning over the engine (both 7/16" hold down bolts removed).  This is the same condenser that was in the car when the unit went out and nothing related to the coil or the ignition switch was disturbed.  We sent the distributor out because while the car would start and run well at slow speeds, it wouldn't run over about 30 mph due to no distributor advance.  The distributor was frozen up, which is often the case with the 30-31 distributors.  So I'm wondering if sychronizing the points might be the issue.  Could some one give me the best way synchronize them and or weigh in on other possibilities as to the no start issue? We are getting fuel to the carb.  The car set up for about 1 month.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer
CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.
1932 AWPhaeton

DaveZ

Hi Ken,
Your 21 is on spot, right in the middle of 18-24.  We have a dual points adjusting tool made back in the day so it is a bit easier, but I have attached the manuals instruction on how to do it without.
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

kkarrer

Thanks Dave.  I'll give it a try and get back to you.  I don't think that the lack of sync is keeping us from starting, but it will have to be addressed.  I'll keep you posted.
Take care,
Ken