News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Leather covered horn button for 1966 Fleetwood Eldorado

Started by Stevison, June 24, 2019, 04:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevison

I’m restoring a 66 Fleetwood Eldorado that has a black leather covered center horn button. Does anyone know if replacements are available; or if not can it be removed and recovered? Thanks much, Steve S

Chuck Swanson

Not reproduced.  Also, not leather, but faux leather type plastic covering with foam underneath.  Hard to find someone that will restore and keep the faux stitching.  I've experimented with Epoxy, glue and other materials, but have not perfected.  Someone created a steel plain one, which may be ok for a restomod, but looks out of place when restoring.  Surprised not reproduced as it seems like making a mold would work.  I have many of these that I found recently, and willing to try a mold if anyone has ideas :)  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Stevison

Chuck, sorry for the tardy reply! Your answer was most helpful. I’m going to try a local final restoration magician and see if he can work some magic! Thanks, Steve

Chuck Swanson

Sure, np problem.  Let u know here how it works out :)
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Gentlemen,

I’ve restored several of these for show cars and posted this method a long time ago. It may be lost to time. The process is like body work on a small plastic model. You must start with a cover that has all the stitching. The cap is a metal form with molded vinyl and foam backing glued on.

Remove the wreath and crest by prying the clips off the studs on the back. Carefully fill all the cracks with ample Crazy Glue…not too little or too much. Use enough glue to wet the foam below which will adhere loose sections to the metal. Using a  small piece of the polyethylene bag  pat any raised pieces down. When complete you’ve fixed all  the foam and cracked vinyl in place on the hub…..complete with all the visible crack lines.

Next is a very thin coat of flexible upholstery putty. I’ve been using Sureflex from Color Plus (https://colorplus.com/)  for years and it’s really magic â€" I have no business of financial  connection. Use a narrow section of yellow plastic squeegee to apply a thin coat over all the surface being certain to avoid the stitching. If there are small sections where the vinyl is missing you can fill it as it will blend with the surrounding area. Let it dry and sand with dry 360 sand paper; again being careful not to damage the stitching. Apply a second coat as necessary and sand again. After dry sanding you can wet the surface to assess the contour/shape. For the final sanding leave some crisscross sanding marks to simulate texture. If you sand it perfectly smooth the surface may have too much shine.

When you’re satisfied, spray it with any vinyl dye. I’ve always used the Color Plus dyes/paint. When finished reinstall the wreath and crest. The small push clips are available at many hardware stores.

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Chuck Swanson

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

J. Douglas Bailey

There is a very thorough article this month in Auto Restorer magazine on casting rubber parts, knobs, etc. September 2019 issue, "Mechanic on Duty" article, page 6, author is well known Jim Richardson.  Includes a complete list of needed products, with two and a half pages of instructions and pictures. I've been thinking of trying this with a spare radio knob or something easier than the horn button on my '66 Eldorado. I'm thinking that a combination of Ralph's and Jim's approaches might work after some practice. 
Director, Peach State region
1958 extended deck sedan touring badge; 1st Touring '07
1966 Eldorado Senior Touring badge; 2nd Primary '19
1996 Fleetwood Brougham, 2nd Primary '12
2013 XTS